Chapter 2

Chapter 2

It’s so quiet out here , all you can hear is the splashing of the water , usually I’d prefer having earphones in my ears with blaring music just so I can’t hear my thoughts- but this , I actually like this silence. It’s so peaceful out here in the dark. Walking to the big rock near the water, I lie down with my knees up, looking at the sky scattered with stars, the full moon looks beautiful tonight. Thinking to myself about my father, I let out a sigh, “daddy, why did you have to leave us? I don’t think I can do this on my own…” I say out aloud not even thinking.

After what seems like a few minutes, looking at my phone, I see I’ve been here for over an hour. Suddenly all my thoughts are broken when I hear movement in the bushes. I freeze and sit up, looking around I see the bushes move. Jumping off the rock, I hide behind it. Holding my breath, scared shit-less for what’s about to come out of them. Peeking over the side of the rock, just enough for one eye to look, afraid of being noticed by whatever is out there.

All of a sudden I see this huge dog come out , its brown or dark brown – I can’t really tell since the moon is only so bright. It lifts its head up as if to smell the air, oh shit, can it smell me? Oh gosh, it probably can! thinking to myself I quickly sit back behind the rock with my knees to my chest, my arms crossed over my knees and my head down. My hair falling down to cover the open gaps, it’s my only shield I have at the moment to protect me. Hearing the sound of the animal walking on the leaves and branches, it’s getting louder and its coming closer to the rock...to where I am. Oh my gosh, oh my gosh, what am I going to do! I squeeze my eyes shut, my heart is beating so fast it hurts; I’m scared to breathe, in case it sees me moving.

All of a sudden I feel something on my hair, my whole body goes tense, and it touches my hair again but this time I can hear it breathing, the dogs snout is right by my ear. I think its smelling me, it then leaves me but this time licks my forearm that’s holding my knees together tightly.

The animal moves away ,I hear movement and leaves cracking, so slowly I lift my eyes, peeking through the hair that’s fallen on my face. I see the big brown dog sitting on the ground in front of me just staring at me, he nudges my leg with his snout and I grasp , I lift my head up fully and move the hair that’s fallen on my face behind my ear so I can look at the dog properly.

He’s absolutely beautiful , he’s big , looking up to the dogs face – I see these beautiful hazel eyes just staring at me . Slowly I lift my trembling hand and raise it to the dogs face, I just want to touch its fur, and it looks so shiny. The dog’s head meets my hand as if to tell me “it’s okay, I won’t bite” giving me the encouragement I needed I gently stroke the dog’s head, lifting myself off the ground I sit up on my knees. Although the dog still towers over me, I can get a better look at him , not sure if it’s a girl or boy – I just get the feeling it’s a male. Getting to my feet I stroke the dogs back, its back comes just above my waist. I scratch its head, and it licks the side of my face, I giggle and wipe my face with the back of my hand, “You’re quite the cutie aren’t you?” shaking my head at finding myself talking to the dog.

The dog drops to the ground and lies on its back , with his paws in the air , mouth open and tongue hanging out the side, I start laughing at what the dogs doing then bend to pat the dogs chest. My phone starts vibrating in my pocket , seeing that its Georgina calling , I quickly give the dog one last pat and tell him, “sorry buddy I gotta go back home now,” quickly dusting myself off , I start walking back through the way I came noticing the dog still at my side walking with me  . He follows me all the way to where the woods stops then I see him sit and watch me as I make my way to my back door , I go inside and look through the window on the side to see the dog slowly withdrawing back into the woods.

Hearing laughing in the kitchen, I walk to the fridge and get a coke out, sitting on the chair at the island thinking about the big dog I saw – I forget that my mom and Amber are still laughing and chatting away until they become silent. I find them staring at me with stupid expressions on their faces.

“I was wondering when you were coming back, you look like you saw a ghost Hun , what’s wrong?” my -at this point tipsy- mom says.

“Nothing’s wrong, umm… Amber? Did you know there’s a small waterfall down in the wood area out back?” I say looking at Amber.

Amber goes tense and completely sober, “ Lexi you shouldn’t go out back there in those woods , it’s near those damn people I told you about and it’s not safe for a girl like you."

“I found this big dog, it was pretty cool, he came outta nowhere , I was scared at first but he was so friendly , I’m guessing it was a boy , I just…” not sure why I burst out rambling but I’m quickly interrupted by Amber.

“Alexia, it wasn’t a dog, those are wolves! You need to stay away from them! Stay outta those woods too, no good can come from going in there!”

“okay okay ! “ I say as I walk away to my room, too tired from the long drive and the day I’ve had to argue with this woman. I turn to see my mother and Amber whispering they both stop when they see I’m looking. Shaking my head ,“whatever” I say out loud.