"You cant play like this"

"Hey babe" I said I as walked up to Hayes' locker at school and tapped his shoulder. "Hey" he said in a raspy voice adding a cough to the end of his sentence. I turn him around facing away from his locker. "Baby are u sick" I said moving me hand to his sweaty forehead. He had a distinct fever and did not look good at all. "Yeah just a little but I'll be fine" he said trying to get me to stop worrying about me. "Hayes you look really bad why would u come to school?" I told him. "Because my dad told me if I miss football practice one more time I will kicked off the team" he said leaning on his locker sighing. "Doesn't your dad understand how sick you are?" I told him shocked that his dad would do this. "Yeah but it's the same rules for everyone he can't bend them for me" he answered my question. The bell rang and I looked at him. I hated to leave him like this but since he's one grade ahead of me I won't see him till schools over. We hugged and told him to feel better and I left him to go to class.

I walked down to the field to Hayes' practice to see if he was ok. I sat on the bleachers and found his number. He seemed a little out of his game but I could tell he was trying his best. I couldn't take watching him anymore and I went down to his dad who was yelling at Hayes to try harder. "Chad?" I said tapping on his shoulder. "Oh hey y/n do u know why Hayes isn't doing as good as he normal does" he said taking his hat off a running a hard through his hair. "Hayes is really sick Chad" I told his dad. "He is?! Mike go in for Hayes" Chad told one of Hayes' team mates and Hayes came off the field. "Hayes are u sick, y/n told me you were really  feeling bad this morning" he said. Hayes sighed and sat on the bench and took off his helmet. "Yeah I am but football means a lot to me and I can't be kicked off the team" he said as he ran his hands through his sweaty hair. I sat on the bench next to him and put my hand on his back and he leaned into me. Chad told the assistant coach to watch the team and he came over to me and Hayes. He put his hand on his forehead and Hayes coughed. "Hayes I don't think you can play like this, I'm sorry" Chad said to him. "But dad I can play I'm fine I promise" he begged to his dad to let him stay. Chad sighed and walked to the other coach. We both watched them talk for little while and then Chad came back. "Hayes we will make a exception about this today because I know you won't leave until I tell you that you can miss this practice and stay on the team and you need to go home so go ahead and go home with y/n" he said patting his shoulder. "Thanks dad" Hayes said smiling weakly. "James can you help Hayes in the locker room for a second" Chad told one of Hayes' teams mates because he was kinda pale and we were both a little scared he would pass out. Hayes put his arm around the other boy and walked with him so he wasn't as weak. I wait outside the locker room while he got dressed and called my mom to pick us up. Hayes came out in basketball shorts and I t-shirt. He didn't say anything he just came up a hugged me for a while. "Thank you" he said. "Hayes what are you talking about?" I asked. "For taking care of me. I knew if I told you what was wrong you would help me in some way. Even though I didn't really want you to know this time I knew after I told you it was a good idea." He said. "Hayes you know I care a lot about you. I know you would do the same for me." I said wrapping my arm around his waist and walking towards where me mom would pick us up. My mom finally got here and Hayes laid down in the back with his head in my lap and he fell asleep. I ran my fingers though his hair in calming way till we got home. He was sleeping really well so my dad carried him inside. My parents really liked and trusted Hayes so my dad took him to my room. I went into the kitchen and got medicine and a wet washcloth. I lay the washcloth across his forehead and sat on one side of my bed beside him. I got on my phone and waited till he woke up.

About 2 hours later he woke up. He opened his eyes and just looked at me for a minute. "Hey baby do u feel any better?" I said rubbing my thumb across his hand and scooting a little closer. "Yeah *cough cough* just a little bit." He said. I gave him something to drink and he gladly drank it all. I gave him some medicine after that and he took that too. I guess he felt bad enough that he didn't feel like putting up a fight about it being gross. "Baby girl" he said as I was walking back and forth from the bathroom to him. "Yeah babe" I said and he motioned me over. "Come lay with me?" He said and I giggled with how cute he was. "Of course" I said getting in bed beside him. "But I don't want you to get sick so face the other way" he said. "Nah it's fine I'll stay this way" I told him turning around a hugging him. He tensed up and bit but relaxed in my arms. He fell asleep again soon after and so did I.

"Y/n!" I heard someone say as they shook me awake. "Nash?" I said. "Yeah we came to get Hayes" he said. Sitting down on my bed. "Oh what time is it." I asked still being a bit tired. "9:30." He said. "Really we slept that long?!" I said shocked at the time. I looked over at Hayes who was sleeping so soundly I didn't want to wake him up. "Nash can you just carry him I don't want him to wake up" I asked. "Yeah of course but I'll have dad do it Hayes isn't that light." He said laughing a little. I laughed too and Nash went to get Chad I got Hayes' stuff together and Chad and Nash came back in. I gave Nash his bag and stuff and helped Chad pick up Hayes. "Thanks for bringing him home y/n. I didn't want him to stay and play but I had to coach the practice and ref and 6th grade game." He told me. "It no problem I enjoyed him being here even though he slept the whole time" I said with a laugh but mostly just looked at Hayes and smiled. "We'll see you later y/n" they said walking out. "Bye guys" I responded closing my door.

The next morning Hayes texted me this long message on how he loves me, thanking me for everything I have done for him and how he misses me. I smiled and told him all these things back and if he was feeling better. He told me that he was and since it was Saturday he told me to come over and sleep with him again. I told him I will but I might not sleep. He told me to just come and watch movies or something and I agreed. We watched movies and day and I took care of him the best I could.

On Monday I came into school with the same thing Hayes had and I went home at around 2 period because I felt really bad and if this was how Hayes felt all day I couldn't believe he did that. I after I got home I went to sleep and woke up to Hayes beside me. "I told you so. I knew u would get sick" he said and we laughed before he laid down and we fell asleep again.