7: Not Ready To Make Nice

PICTURE OF MATT KLARNER ON THE SIDE------------>

 ♕Emily Brown♕

"So are we meeting at your house again?" Matt asked me while I chucked some of my textbooks into the locker.

Turning away so that he couldn't see my watery eyes, I murmured, "No, I can't today or tomorrow..." 

"The final copy of our essay is due tomorrow!" he urged on as he followed me to the front doors of the school.

"So?" I really didn't want to talk to anyone right now.

"We have to meet today. Last week you said we were going to work on it today and I can't spare another late from Mrs. Walter or I'm done for." 

"I said I can't today!" I shouted. I'm already frazzled enough, Matt is just asking for a punch in the face. The hallways silence and people stared, but I couldn't care less.

"Why? It's not like you have anything better to do anyways." His caustic comment stung me like a bee and I pushed open the doors with more force than needed. I couldn't hold them in anymore and unwanted tears trickled down my cheek endlessly. Nothing else better to do... he doesn't know crap about me.

***

The sky was now darker and the steel black gates housed each stone home. There was dew on the grass from rain, but I was settled in comfortably. I laid the beautifully assorted flowers on the rugged gravestone. Too bad they were only going to wither and die as well. I traced my fingers on the cursive engraved letterings from beginning to end. 

Ted Joseph Brown

November 6, 1963- April 19, 2008

A loving father, husband and friend

We love you Ted, God bless

Vienna waits for you

RIP

I swiped the tears away and sniffled. Vienna, that was mine and my dad's favourite song when I was little. Instead of reading story books, he used to sing it for me before I went to bed to put me to sleep even though he wasn't the greatest singer.

"Hey dad, it's me again. I really miss you and..." I couldn't keep myself together, "and... and please come back. I really need you, I promise I'll be good- just come back. Sing me to bed, teach me stuff I don't know, I need my best friend with me. Please."

I sobbed uncontrollably and threw my arm around the gravestone. I closed my eyes and imagined that it was my father. "Mom misses you too, she still cries at night. She doesn't think I can hear, but I can. Remember the time when you were planning a surprise party for me with mom? You talked so loud, I could hear you from my bedroom and I had to pretend to be surprised when you guys yelled 'surprise' from behind the kitchen counter. Remember that dad? Remember?"

After reminicing with my dad all night, I kissed the stone goodbye and said, "It's getting late, I have to go home. Mom wished she could come today, but she has a lot of paperwork to do. She says 'sorry and I love you'. I love you too daddy, so much. I promise to visit soon."

♔Matt Klarner♔

Shit, I feel like the biggest douche bag in the world. Not only for doubting Emily, but for creeping her to the cemetery. The minute those words left my mouth at school, I regretted them. I don't know what came over me; whether it was the pressure of the due date or Emily's rejection of our original plans. I just wasn't thinking straight.

I decided to follow her to see if she was okay since she seemed to want to leave in such a hurry. I didn't believe her when she said she had something else to do and I wanted to see if she could prove me wrong. Not only did she altogether prove me wrong, I also feel like a stalker.