Stones of Rhiadon: Chapter 1 - Exploration

Start from the beginning

            The sand between his toes caused joy through his flesh. The expression on his face was beyond ecstatic. He almost kissed the ground he stood on if he wouldn’t get sand in his mouth. He hurried around hoping to find fruit or animal of some sort. His sword still rattled at his side. He felt it smiling as he imagined something to settle his hollow stomach.

            Still there was nothing to be found until he heard the sound of voices. He didn’t know where he had landed and so he quickly hid under what appeared to be a pier. He listened intently trying to figure out where he was. The people looked human but were pale faced and had such perfect bone structure. It was a man and a woman walking hand in hand to view the scenery. Scenery which tormented at Noraes’ mind.

            “A thousand years I have loved you and a thousand are yet to come. Every day I worship in your beauty, which of even the ocean stands no match to. “ The male said.

            He quickly hid completely under the pier now as they were walking over him. He watched in interest up through the crack in the deck. It failed to recognize either one of them. As they reached the end of the pier Noraes stepped out to watch them holding hands as the sun set in front of a blaring red sky. That’s when he noticed their large ears point tall almost looking like a leaf. He took a step back and dodged back under the pier.

            They were elves.

            He had heard stories, mostly folklore for the longest time but it had even been rumor that back in Calthoria there were elves that had landed ashore though there were no hard facts. Becoming intrigued he studied them even more. He began to wonder if he had traveled across the surface and back to his homeland. This time he wasn’t close to the east sea.

            They continued to talk but nothing of use and so he left as stealthily as he could. He eventually ran nearly into somebody almost knocking them over. His quick reflexes caught her mid flight. In front of him stood a tall blond elf in a white and blue cotton dress. Without knowing his eyes traveled across her body. He coughed as he realized she might be watching.

            “I’m so sorry ma’am. I am terribly clumsy today.” He spoke. It was the first words he had said in so many months. It actually impressed him that he was able to get out a full sentence. He held her hand in his for another moment before he kissed it and bowed. The taste of cherries on his lips now which made it hard for him to keep from licking them. “My name is Noraes.”

            “Clumsy human.” She said shaking her head in disapproval.

            “Hey, wait a minute, at least I’m good looking.” Noraes pleaded smiling.

            “Humph… hardly. By the looks you haven’t shaved or bathed in weeks. “ With that she turned her head and walked away. He could smell salt on his skin from the ocean and even felt at his face where facial hair had finally grown. He heard of such tales that elves didn’t grow any facial hair.

            He quickly jumped out of sight again after she had left. He shook his head as he walked. At least he knew that humans were acceptable wherever he was. Soon he could figure that he wasn’t in Calthoria because there were no humans to tell of elves existence.

            He found a pond where he quickly looked at as his dagger as it was shaving the hair off of his face. He also cut his long hair down short to where it had been before the voyage. He looked to the ground at the dirty blond hair at his feet. There was so much of it scattered and he remembered how the curly hair itched his neck moments before. He left it long enough to have hair but short enough that his curls didn’t come out.