Chapter 16: "Jerk..." (Bonus Halloween Chapter)

The sun was setting on my favorite day of the year, and the whole street was filled with laughter as the fun part began.

With my costume on and my face painted, I carried my bag of tricks out the door with me, and set off for a night of wicked fun.

I wasn't even out of my yard when someone grabbed me from behind, one hand over my mouth as I screamed, and the other placed firmly over my stomach. It takes a moment of furious and terrified struggling before I recognize key features that make who's holding me obvious.

The first is the smell, clean and fresh, almost minty but without the cheer.

The second is the way the hands grab, if it was dangerous it'd be different. Even as he's trying to scare me, he's gentle and warm.

And the third is the way his chest rises and falls behind me as he laughs a little at my struggling. I've memorized this feeling, how he breathes and laughs and smiles, how it changes, over the past year that we've been together.

"Morgue, you butt head, you gave me a heart attach!" I yell into his hand.

"Butt head? And cool, I've never dated a corpse, this should be interesting. " He smiles, knowing he's a smart ass, and knowing I love him for it.

He holds out a few movies he'd brought over and I smile, knowing exactly what this means.
"Movie night?" He asks.

I give in simply because I know he doesn't like going out and doing things, especially when I can't run from cops as fast as him.

---

"I know why you picked it..." I say from behind his shoulder.

"Yea?"

"Yea. Cuz you know it freaks me out. Jerk~" I tease, trying not to think about the creepy dead girl on the screen, or the music.

I feel his arms wrap around me as he shifts position, which means something I won't want to see is close. So I bury my face in his chest, and he covers my ears, until it's safe again.

A few minutes pass. "Alright, all clear. "

I pull my head up and look at the screen. Everything seems normal, so I watch, only to find out just moments later how high I can jump. When the creepy girl jumps out again and screams in unison with me, I put my head back in the spot that, after many movie nights with Morgue, I've learned it fits just right.

"Jerk..."

"Happy Halloween, babe."

He kisses the top of my head and smiles.

I can't stay mad at him... But I wish I could...