Chapter 7: "For you, here, today."

The sun hung high above our heads as we worked together to prep for our next show.

It's been about 3 weeks since I joined, and I couldn't be happier.

I've become a real member of the family, and being so far away from my own, it means a lot to me.

----

/the start of the show/

"Ladies and gentleman" Todd began, as we gathered out front to draw in a crowd. "Inside, you will see some of the most bizarre creatures to ever exist. Animals with two heads, a dog with 5 legs, come pet them. You'll meet the bearded lady, the littlest lady, and even shake hands with a real live giant! But that's not all, oh no... we have so much more... you'll see some of the most dangerous stunts to still be performed in the world today... Ladies and Gentleman, this is a show you will never forget! So step right up and get in line, it's time for the show to begin!"

We all clapped, and the crowd went crazy. Todd never ceased to amaze me with his ability to Talk.

With my snake in the basket, and my sword and matches strapped to my side, I followed my friends inside and we all took our places to greet the new visitors. People were still getting used to me as a new member, some of the more frequent visitors were definitely caught off guard.

I don't mind, of course. It's a surprise I don't even have to try for.

Soon enough everyone has gathered around the stage. This is probably one of the biggest crowds I've seen so far. Even so, each performance goes perfectly, and then it's my turn.

Seeing how well the others did, I don't worry so much about how I'll do.

I introduce myself, and I smile. "For you, here, today, I'm going to demonstrate why my friends call me Medusa." I pull the snake from the basket, and smile. I hear the crowd gasp individually as I lower the snake down inside of me.

It's then that something unexpected happens.

I'd be a liar if I told you I ever thought about how scary this may be to someone watching, but after today, I may never have to wonder.

A woman near the front, who I had pegged earlier as afraid of snakes, because of her reaction to Penguin's tongue, let's out a muffled noise, like she's terrified but doesn't want to let on.

Unfortunate for me, my snake takes notice of the woman's heightened anxiety. This in return makes me nervous, and the woman even more nervous. Now the snake is nervous, but if you've ever tried to read the emotional state of a snake, you'll find a frown and a smile look more or less the same, leading the woman to mistake my snakes nervous swaying, as well as the "for show" hissing she's been trained with, as aggression.

She freaks out. The snake slithers up faster, scratching and wiggling up. I'm lucky it's not more violent, but the pain is enough to cause me to double over once she's out. I put her back in the basket quickly, coughing. With Morgue and Creature's help, I make it off the stage and sit down.

Unable to speak, I watch as the crowd is herded out, and a decision is made in front of me that I need to go to the hospital.

I haven't got the time to agree, or disagree, as I clock out once the initial "excitement" has died down.

All I can think in my last few moments of consciousness is that Morgue seems especially concerned about me... And he hasn't taken his hand off my shoulder since I sat down.