Chapter 32:

I woke up, still in my dress, leaning up against Maxon on our comfy bed. Maxon was still in his suit and his plastic crown that said "Birthday Boy!" I laughed as I plucked it off of his head and held it in my hands. I looked at Maxon, who was sleeping soundly, and smiled. He was calm and happy and peaceful. I stroked his honey-blond hair and kissed his cheek. I got up and put on jeans and a t-shirt. I didn't feel like having anything to do with any dress today.

I crept down the halls and to the dining room, where I had breakfast. I was halfway done when Maxon stumbled into the room, looking groggy.

"How was your sleep last night?" I asked, laughing at him.

"Good." he mumbled, sitting down next to me. "How late did we stay up last night?"

"I think it was four." I said, biting my lip. Maxon's twentieth birthday party was a huge celebration, and it went on for hours and hours. Mostly everyone at the palace was there, and no one but the guards was really well rested and ready to work.

"Thank you, America." Maxon said, turning to me, smiling. "That was the best birthday party I've ever had." he grabbed my hand across the table and kissed it.

"I'm glad it was." I said, smiling. A second later, the smile was wiped off of my face. My hands shot to my stomach.

"Come on, dear, let's get you in bed." Maxon said, standing up and lightly grabbing my arm.

"I am not your dear." I said, being guided by Maxon down the hall. A nearby maid spotted us.

"Is everything alright, Your Majesties?" she asked, a worried look on her face.

"She's just having some morning sickness, that's all." Maxon explained.

My head started pounding. I put my hand on my temple and shut my eyes, but the headache wasn't going away.

"Do you want me to give you something to help?" she asked, turning towards me. I nodded slowly and kept walking with Maxon.

"We're almost there." his reassuring voice said, as we walked down the corridor that our room was in.

We got to the end of the hall, and Maxon opened our door. He picked me up and gently lowered my down onto our comfy bed, and pulled the covers over top of me.

"Thank you." I said, rubbing my temples.

"You know, we won't be able to visit all of the provinces." he said, stroking my hair. "We'll have to stop at some point or visit more provinces in a shorter period of time, because we have thirty-two provinces to go, and that will take about eight months."

"I don't want to just quit, so we'll have to fit two provinces in per week." I said.

"Of course." Maxon said. A smile spread across his face.

"What are you smiling about?" I asked my husband.

"Nothing." he said, still smiling wryly.

"Maxon Schreave, what on earth are you smiling about?" I asked, trying not to smile myself.

"You are so determined. If you start something, you will finish it no matter what." he said, grabbing my hand. "And that's one of the many reasons why I love you."

He leaned in to kiss me, and just when our lips were about to touch, a sharp pain shot through my head.

"Oh!" I shouted, reaching for my temple and smacking Maxon in the nose. "Are you ok?" I asked, reaching for my husband.

"Yeah, I'm fine." Maxon said, laughing. "Are you ok?" He looked concerned.

"My head." I murmured, rubbing my temples. My stomach flopped, and I got out of bed and almost made it to the bathroom. I puked all over the tile floor, and Maxon came behind me, rubbing my back.

"It pains me so much to see you like this." he said when I was done. "I'm going to get someone. Lie down and relax. I'll be right back." He ran out the door and into the hall, and I staggered out of the bathroom and onto the bed.

I felt like crap.

Maxon came back with a nurse and a couple of maids. I tried to get up and help the maids clean up, but Maxon didn't let me.

"Just go to sleep." he said. "You'll feel better once you wake up. Then we'll see the doctor. Our monthly appointment with him is due, so we can see how the baby is doing."

"Thank you." I said, closing my eyes.

Maxon started stroking my hair again. "Don't thank me. I will do anything for you and expect nothing in return." He kissed my forehead and I curled up under the blankets, reaching for his free hand.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"Maxon?" I said, waking up. He was sitting beside the bed, still holding my hand, asleep.

He woke up, lifting his head and rubbing his eyes. "Are you feeling ok?"

"My stomach is still a little upset, but that's it. I feel much better." I smiled at my husband, and he smiled back, and brought his lips to mine.

"I'm going to go get you something to drink. I'll be right back." he whispered after the kiss. I sat up in bed and put my hands on my stomach, willing the churning uneasiness to go away.

Maxon returned, with a tray of tea and some cookies. He set it down on the table beside our bed, and started pouring a cup for me. He knew exactly what and how much of it to put in my tea, and it was delicious.

"Mmmmmmm....." I uttered, taking a second sip.

Maxon poured himself a cup, laughing a little. "I'm glad you're enjoying it."

"Thank you." I started. I remembered when Maxon said not to say thank you, but I didn't listen. I truly was very thankful for him. "You do so much for me, and I do so little for you."

"Remember that last night, you planned and threw an amazing birthday party for me. You do lots, America, you just don't notice it." Maxon said, a smile on his face.

A smile spread across my face too. I loved Maxon so much, and I was extremely happy to be married and to be able to start a life with him. "I love you." I said, barely a whisper.

"I love you too." he replied.

I was just about to speak, when the sharp pain in my head returned. I put my hand on my forehead and Maxon kept asking if I was ok. I nodded and he sighed in relief.

"It's ok, America. Only eight more months of this to go."

That brought a tiny smile to my face. "Only eight more months." I repeated.

"Now, let's get to the doctor." he said, picking me up and carrying me to the door.

"I can walk, you know." I said, a smile spreading across my face.

"I can carry you too. And that's what I intend to do."

I feel like I've been saying sorry a whole bunch lately. But I really am sorry for not updating. Happy November! Tell your friends about thins story! Hey, have any of you read Happily Ever After? It came out a couple of weeks ago, and I love it. Oh, and if any of you Selectioners didn't know, the last book in the Selection series is called The Crown. Eeeeek! I'm so excited!! Thanks for reading!

~Em