Chapter 4:

"Stop it!"

Mary was poking me to wake me up, which was very unusual, because the maids are trained to keep us comfortable.

"Stop what?" she said. But it wasn't Mary's voice, it was Maxon's. He must have snuck into my room after I'd gone to bed, and was poking me.

I rolled over and gave Maxon a kiss."And just when did you get here?"

" Well, since you're pregnant, I figured you should have somebody to protect you." Maxon said.

"You didn't answer my question. And what are you protecting me from? A monster that can get passed the palace doors, all the guards, and the one outside my door?"

" I got here about an hour after you went to bed. And yes, I heard there was a monster roaming around Angeles." he said with a smile.

"Well, I should stay by your side at all times then." I got up and leaned against the bed frame, and Maxon got up and started getting dressed.

"I'm afraid I have to go, my America. I am the king, you know."

" Can't we just get somebody else to run the country?"

" Hmmmmm," he said, with fake concentration, " Who?"

"Ummmmm..... I don't know!"

" Then no one can run the country. Let it fall to pieces. As long as I have my America." he gave me a kiss and left.

Mary wasn't here, so I got ready by myself. I put on a blue day dress and some white heels and headed down for breakfast.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
At breakfast, there were cameras everywhere. I had gotten used to the lack of privacy at the castle, but I still didn't like cameras watching my every move.

"America!" said a familiar voice.

"Nicoletta?" 

It sounded like the Italian princess, but I couldn't see her.

"It's so good to see you!!" 

Suddenly, I saw her, sprinting towards me, with her arms outstretched. I got up out of my seat and gave her a hug.

"You are queen!!!" Nicoletta said with excitement. You are getting rid of the.....um.... castes?"

"Yes, Nicoletta, we are! What brings you here?"

"We were flying to Brasilia, and I wanted to stop here to congratulate you! Where's Maxon?"

"Oh, he's working. The country can't rule itself!" 

I really wished Maxon was here; he hadn't really been introduced to Nicoletta, and I knew he would like her.

" Si! Si! Well, I am sorry, but we cannot stay any longer. You come to Italy next time!"

"Ok, Nicoletta. See you soon!" I said it with as much cheer as I could, but it wasn't much because the nausea had just kicked in.

" Are you ok?" Nicoletta asked. I guess she could tell I wasn't feeling well.

" Oh yeah. It's just some nausea. I'll be fine."

"You seem really off. Are you sure?"

"Well, I am pregnant." I tried to say that as casual and quiet as I could.

"WHAT?? You are having a baby?? Is it a boy or girl? When are you having it??"

"Calm down, Nicoletta. It's too early to tell its gender, and it's coming in 9 months."

She put her hands on my stomach and said, " You be a good baby. Nicoletta says so." 

I laughed and we chatted as she left. We said our final goodbye, and I went back into the castle.

I went to go find Maxon in his study. I didn't have anything to do that day, and I figured Maxon could use some company, so I brought some tea up to him in his study. I intended to spend all day with my husband.