Chapter Two: Argument

Start from the beginning

Ironically, I’d never been one to exercise a lot or go for runs in the morning, but it felt surprisingly nice to jog through the soothing darkness at the local running path tonight. It wound through the forest where I’d first met Derek, and I found myself pondering my earlier blow-up. I’d known what I was getting into with Derek – I’d known that with the sexy muscles and magical healing powers came ruthless hunters and unexpected, often dangerous, obstacles at every twist and turn. I’d known that, and I’d accepted it all just to be with Derek. But as of late, I’d been experiencing the real-life ramifications of this life. Boyd was dead because of the Argents, and I was pregnant with a razor-sharp killer werewolf baby because my boyfriend happened to be born with the gene. It wasn’t all daisies and rainbows, and it definitely wasn’t easy. But I was willing to battle through it all as long as I had Derek by my side, and that’s what I should’ve been focusing on. Now Derek was probably sitting at home, beating himself up about putting me through this when really, it had been my choice to make and I didn’t regret it for a second.

“I’ve gotta go back,” I told myself, turning around abruptly in my trail to return to the parking lot. Out of nowhere, however, I found myself face-to-face with a young woman who could only have been a couple years older than me at most. With long, pin straight brown hair and creamy olive skin, she was dressed in skintight black leggings, a low-cut fuchsia tank top, and four-inch black booties, with a black leather jacket thrown over the entire outfit.

“Oops, sorry hon, didn’t mean to scare you,” she purred, backing up a step and giving me an once-over. Although I was almost positive I didn’t know her, something about her did seem familiar, and she certainly seemed to know me.

“Um, I’m sorry? Do I know you?”

“Why, I’m sure you don’t, but you know somebody I’m very close to,” she replied in the same slick tone of voice. Like she was playing games. I wracked my brains to figure out who she reminded me of, but I couldn’t put my finger on it. She had the same coloring as Scott, but I knew he didn’t have a sister, and she was several years too young to be his aunt. Cousin, maybe?

“Are you related to Scott McCall by any chance?” I took a shot in the dark, trying to edge around her a little uneasily. No matter how she knew me, I didn’t know her, and it was starting to get really dark. Not only was it dangerous to be out at night, alone, but Derek would be flipping his shit worrying about me by now and I’d left my phone in the car like an idiot. And something about the way this girl had snuck up on me didn’t settle right with me…I mean, she wasn’t even dressed in running clothes.

“Nope, think again.”

“Well, um, I’m fresh out of ideas and I’ve gotta get back home or my fiancé will freak out, so…nice meeting you I guess?”

To my surprise, she smiled like I hadn’t just tried to exit the conversation. “Oh trust me, honey, I know. But I didn’t even introduce myself!”

“Um, okay,” I said slowly, my escape to town blocked by her slim stature but intimidating presence. And what did she mean “she knew”?

“I’m Cece…Cece Hale,” she told me, thrusting out a hand for me to shake. My jaw dropped, and I could feel my eyes widen to the point of spontaneous combustion. What the hell? There’s no way…no way. It’s just a coincidence.

“Y-you’re…what?” I stuttered in disbelief. I knew for a fact Derek had no more family left except Peter, and I didn’t think he’d had any kids while in a state of a coma. She’s lying. She’s one of the Argents, and she’s just trying to get you to trust her.

“You heard me. I’m a Hale, a flesh-and-blood relative of Derek’s. In fact, I’m his-“

“Little sister,” I supplied, suddenly remembering a conversation between me and Derek a long time ago. It was on our third date, when I’d asked him to tell me about his childhood. He’d mentioned a little sister named Cecelia, who’d been the next closest in age to him and Laura, and who’d also perished in the fire. She’d gone home from school that day because she was sick and had burned along with every other member of the Hale family. But the Argents could easily find out something like that from Kate, right? There’s no way I can trust her.

“Exactly. I bet you’re wondering if you can trust me, if I’m a hunter maybe. Am I right?” she smirked, raising an eyebrow at me expectedly. I nodded slowly, readying myself for a fight if it came to that. I knew a few basic moves that Derek and Isaac had taught me, but if she was really an Argent I didn’t stand a chance…especially not while I was “with child”.

“Glad to see my bro taught you well, at least. But how about I prove to you that I am who I say I am?” And with that, she took out her phone and handed it to me. Definitely not a move a hunter would do. “Call my brother. Tell him to come here and rescue you, and when he gets here, you’ll see that I am who I say I am. And if I’m not, it’d be a pretty dumb move because then you’d be safe and Derek would kick my ass.”

Assessing her offer and the logic behind it, I knew my best bet was to call Derek, as much as I didn’t want to. He would freak, probably yell at me later for venturing into the woods alone at night, but in the end, I would be safe and he would prove that this lady wasn’t his sister. Although I was pretty confident that she wasn’t a hunter by this point, it didn’t mean she was Derek’s long-lost baby sis. After all, that would be crazy. Every Hale burned in that fire, except for him, Laura, and Peter. There could be no way she’d survived, at least not without somebody else knowing about it. And besides, why come back now? Why not escape the fire and then reunite with her grieving brother and sister? Why remain hidden, why fake her own death? And why approach me, of all people, and not Derek?

“Fine,” I responded finally, snatching the phone out of her hands and dialing the number I knew by heart. I listened with bated breath as it rang only once before Derek’s urgent voice blasted over the line.

“Christina, where are you? I’ve been calling you for the past hour!” he yelled, the undertones of worry ringing out. I quickly checked the time on the screen, and almost gasped out loud – it was nearly ten o’clock!

“I’m sorry, babe, I just needed to think for a little bit and ended up losing track of time,” I told him apologetically, rushing through my next words before he could chastise me for not having my phone on me. “But, um, Derek I went for a run in the park and ran into somebody who let me use their phone. Can you come get me?” I decided to leave out the part about needing him to come help me evade danger, because why stress him out any more than strictly necessary?

“Of course, I’ll be there soon.” That was one thing I loved about Derek – he always came when I needed him, no questions asked. I snapped the hot pink Razor shut and handed it back to the girl who was claiming to be Derek’s sister, shooting her a glare.

“He’s on his way,” I informed her coldly, walking over to a nearby bench to rest my aching legs. My body wasn’t what it used to be, and the fatigue was hitting me hard. I was in deep trouble if Cece didn’t turn out to be…well, Cece, because I couldn’t run and sure as hell couldn’t fight; I could only wait for Derek to arrive. Which he did, not three minutes later. Both Cece and I watched as a dark figure rounded the corner, sprinting at a pace that could only be supernatural, quickly followed by two other people going almost as fast. I got to my feet, relieved, as Derek came into view, flying right by Cece to hug me tightly and zap me over to where Isaac and Erica stood, tensed for a fight. Isaac wrapped an arm around my shoulders, holding me tightly to his side as the three of us watched Derek turn and snarl at Cece, who stood in the middle of the path with her hands on her hips, an expecting smirk firmly planted on her face. This is it. The moment of truth, I thought, my eyes glued to Derek’s expression as he spotted Cece. His growl cut off abruptly, and I watched with mounting awe as his aggressive posture melted away to one of guarded shock and instinctive protectiveness.

“Cece, is that you?”

******************************************

Hey readers! So heres the second installment of Stuck Like Glue, i hope you enjoy! What do you think of Cece? is she for real? That's her, played by Nina dobrev, on the right! >>> same outfit, but if you can imagine her with more Elena-style straight hair, thatd be perfect! Pleaseeee comment! And vote! OR both, if you really love this story? yes? no? maybe? thanks so much guys! Next chapter coming this weekend :) xoxoxox