Chapter Two: Argument

Start from the beginning

“I’m so sorry, Erica. I’m so, so sorry,” I whispered through my cries, and I knew she heard me by the way she tucked her face into my chest and bawled endlessly. Without a word, Derek and Isaac exited, leaving us to hold onto each other for dear life and just let it all out. It felt good to finally reconnect with my best friend, to find solace in our shared misery. It made me confident that no matter what got thrown at us, I could always count on my friends.

            That night, after I’d showered and we’d had our first dinner as a pack without Boyd, Derek and I snuggled up together on the couch in the living room to watch Supernatural, which came on at 8 on Wednesday night’s now.

“So how have you been doing with the whole pregnancy thing?” Derek turned to me and asked as the show went to commercial. I sighed, rubbing my stomach absentmindedly. Every time we were alone, Derek wanted to know how I was doing, how the baby was doing, what to name him or her…it was really cute, if I was being honest.

“I’m fine, really. The cramps are pretty bad, and I’m tired like 99% percent of the time, but I...I’m really excited to be a mother, Derek,” I admitted, looking down at the indistinguishable bump protruding from my belly. It still amazed me to think that I was carrying another person inside of me; as we spoke, our baby was developing into a beautiful boy or girl.

“Well, I finally found a solution to our doctor problem. Dr. Deaton said if we supply him with the equipment, he’d be willing to give you monthly check-ups and even, uh, help you deliver the baby when the time comes.”

“That’s fantastic! But why can’t I just go to a normal hospital? It’s not like the baby’s gonna come out with claws and yellow eyes, right?” I snorted sarcastically. But to my surprise, Derek sighed and pulled one of my hands into his lap, kissing it softly.

Looking me right in the eyes, he said “I’m afraid that’s a possibility, Chris. Two of my younger siblings were born completely wolfed out, and if my mother had been in a normal hospital…well, they would’ve had a lot of explaining to do.”

“B-but if our baby has claws that means they could rip me apart from the inside trying to get out!” I exclaimed, jumping to my feet shakily as I began to process this piece of information. This was all getting too Pregnancy: Twilight Edition for me. Every day I felt like there was another complication, another fact about genetic werewolf babies that I didn’t know about. This is too much. I can’t deal with this right now! Running a hand through my wavy red hair with trembling fingers, I grabbed my purse from where it lay on the coffee table and made a run for the door, not a clear idea in my mind.

“Chris-!”

“I have to go,” I cried, slightly hysterically, and I slammed the door shut behind me. I knew if Derek wanted to, he could’ve easily stopped me before I’d even gotten off the couch, but he was respecting my wishes and leaving me alone, to which I was very grateful. I needed to clear my head, take a step back from all this baby werewolf talk and just focus on me. I flung myself into the front seat of my brand new red Jeep Wrangler, which Derek had just bought for me after we’d both agreed that it was too dangerous for me to be riding around on a motorcycle if I was pregnant. Although it had broken my heart to put my Harley Davidson into storage, I knew it was the right choice for the baby.

            Speeding down the street and out into the town, I slammed my fist against the dashboard angrily. Goddamnit, now I’m missing the new Supernatural. Ugh. I found myself pulling into a drive-through at McDonalds, and ordering fries and a large chocolate milkshake. Did I mention I had wicked food cravings? Feeling like a pathetic friendless loser, I sat in my car in the parking lot of the sketchy fast-food joint and stuffed my face. Then I felt like a fat, pathetic friendless loser, so I got out of the car and stomped into the park to blow off some steam.