Chapter Twenty-Three

Start from the beginning

Alright Tanner everything is going to be okay, just breath in and out slowly, I say the same thing to myself every time I have an attack. Luckily it wasn't as bad as the ones that I would get back in high school. The thought of the bullying is coming back to me and how my dad would talk me though it.

My dad.

"Fuck don't mess this up Tanner," I take a long drag blowing out a huge cloud. "Don't mess this up."

~

"Tanner, and your friend," what are you doing here?" my mother asks opening the door after our fifth round of ringing the fucking door bell. I know for a fact that she is sitting in the family room watching the news, so her acting like she didn't hear the doorbell is nothing but bullshit.

"Its Mya mom," I roll my eyes not surprise that she forgot her name.

Hell she sometimes forgets mine.

"Yes of course, but why are you two doing here?" she looks genuinely confuse as we follow her into the living room.

"Mom I called you an hour ago to ask if it was okay of we can come over to discuss something with you and dad." Don't get annoyed Tanner.

"You guys are getting married?" she cocks her head to the side as she sits down.

"Uh no, it's a it's something else."

"James darling, James!" my mother calls my father who is probably in the den smoking his pipe.

"Yes dea- oh Tanner, Mya, how are you guys doing?" he tries to hid his smile as he comes into the room.

"They have something important that they want to tell us," she pats the seat next to her.

"Should I tell them, or do you?" I ask wanting to get this over with.

"I will," Mya rolls her eyes as she grabs my hand, which is helping just a little.

"Well me and Tanner <Tanner and I> huh?" Mya looks at my mom who decides to correct her grammar in the middle of the sentence.

"You said me and Tanner the correct way to say it is Tanner and I."

"Oh for the love of God," I rub my temple feeling a migraine coming.

"I'm sorry, Tanner and I have something very important to tell you guys. We are having a baby," you can hear a pin drop from how quiet everything got.

"And I am sure that a wedding is in the talks?" mother asks giving us a concern look. Why concern, I don't know.

"Nope."

"And why not, Tanner if you can bring a child into this world then you can get married."

She says it like it's so easy.

"Well right now marriage is not in either of our list," I look at Mya for confirmation, which she quickly agrees.

"Tanner you know very well that we take marriage very seriously."

"I'm sorry, did you just say that you take marriage seriously," I couldn't help myself, but I laugh so hard that you would have thought that she told a joke.

"Yes Tanner I take it very seriously. I know what I did in the past is wrong, but I refuse to have you hold it over my head every chance you get. Tiffany has gotten over it why can't you?"

"Because I'm Tanner fucking Smooth, not Tiffany whatever the hell her last name is. I am the man that you conceived through your unfaithfulness and then get treated like shit because of the mistake that you made. I didn't ask to be apart of this world, I wasn't even suppose to be here, you were supposed to get an abortion remember. And since you brought up Tiffany, and compare us every chance you get, lets talk about her," I sit up getting real comfortable. "Tiffany was able to wear new clothes ever season, I was given hand-me-downs, Tiffany comes home with C/D disgrace roll I come home with all A's. Tiffany lives in the goddamn house, I moved out the first chance I got. Tiffany grew up in a two parent household, I only grew up in one. You see where I am going here, you see what happens when you keep on comparing us. Tiffany maybe working in a big corporate, but that is because she fucked her way around to get into her position because trust me it is not because of her credentials. All that shit and yet I am treated like the black fucking sheep of the family. I'm the one that gets treated like a fucking lower classman! But I don't say shit because I felt like nobody gives a shit, you don't give a shit," I look right into my mother's eyes daring her to lie.