19

Jada

Eric and I decided to go grocery shopping today. The kids were coming over for the weekend, so I wanted to make sure that we had all their favorite snacks. Erica was very particular about what she ate, so I always made sure she had something different and just for her.

Eric and I were done our grocery shopping and on our way to the register. I had read over my list about a million times, still feeling like I had forgotten something. I looked at my list full of crossed out words and tried remembering what we had ran out of at home.

"Shit." I said. "Eric can you go and get the milk? I forgot to get it."

He nodded and turned to head back to the dairy section.

"And don't forget-(gco)"

He turned around to face me, walking backwards. "I know. Regular, chocolate for Rii, and strawberry for Erica."

He smiled at me and disappeared around the corner. I smiled and turned the corner, wheeling my basket into the next aisle. I browsed through the different brands and flavors of cake mixes. I figured I would make some brownies for the kids tonight, so I went with the brownie mix.

I reached for it, but I was still too short to get it. Someone reached over me and grabbed the box. I turned around and was shocked at who was standing in front of me. He handed me the box and I looked at him in surprise.

"Tupac Amaru Shakur. It's been a long time." I said smiling at him.

"What's up Jay?" He hugged me and kissed my cheek.

"Nothing at all." I hugged him back.

"So how you doing?"

"I'm doing really well. How are you and your family?"

"We all alright. My mama doing real well now. I'm out here hustling, you know me."

I put the cake mix box into the buggy. "Staying out of trouble?" I raised an eyebrow.

"Yeah." He said before walking towards my buggy. "And who is this beautiful little girl?" Pac grabbed her little hand.

"Her name is Henrii."  I said.

"And to think I thought it would always be me you would have your first child with." He said.

I shrugged. "I thought so too but things change Pac."

Pac and I had a little history. We were inseparable coming up and we did everything together. We hadn't spoke since we broke up. We were young back then, but the love we had for one another? That was real. Unfortunately, we broke up before I reached high school.

We dated for only two months and things didn't really work our after. He moved away to New York and I stayed here in Compton. We ended things on a bad note, but we decided that we would always remain friends, like we had always been.

"I'd like to keep in touch. Can I get your number?"

"How about you give me yours and I'll call you?" I said.

"Alright." He said.

I handed him a pen and he wrote his number on my small notepad.

"It was nice to see you Pac."

"Nice to see you too babygirl." He pulled me into a hug and then pulled back.

He waved at Henrii and made his way out of the aisle.

"Who was that?" Eric asked sitting the milk into the basket.

"Just an old friend. Nobody really." I said rolling to the register.