7

February 1985

Jada

Prom day was finally here and I was excited. Kim and I had talked about this day a million times since senior year started. This was my first and very last prom, so I hoped that things would go as planned.

My mom seemed to be even more excited than me, she insisted on finding me the perfect dress for tonight and a very cute pair of heels to match. My dad on the other hand, had been looking for his camera for the past few days so he could take pictures. They were both excited about today.

It finally seemed as if things were getting better for us, relationship wise. Lord knows we've had it rough these past few months.

I hoped that Eric has gotten his outfit together for tonight. He waited until the last minute to decide on what he would wear. After begging him to wear a suit, he eventually gave in. I knew he didn't like wearing them but of course he made an exception, which was very sweet of him.

Kim and I had agreed that we'd get ready for prom together at my place. By the time I got back in from picking my gown up from the tailor, she was already at my house.

I signaled for Kim to follow me to my room. She sat down her things and excused herself before following me to my room. She closed the door and plopped down onto the bean bag in the corner of my room.

"What time is Eric going to be here?" She asks. "I'm surprised that your parents are okay with him coming over."

I took a seat on my bed and looked over at her and purse my lips. It took her a minute to catch on, but when she did, she looked at me disappointedly.

"You didn't tell them?" Kim says raising a brow.

"Nope." I said. "And I'm not going to." I folded my arms.

"Since when did you start lying to your parents?"

"If I told them I was going to prom with my 'drug dealer boyfriend', they wouldn't let me go. I'm not stupid Kim."

"You're right, but still, you might get into trouble."

"Kim it'll be fine." I grabbed ahold of her shoulders. "Tonight is going to be fun." I cheered and danced a bit before walking away to grab my box full of curling irons from my closet.

"You'd better hope that it's all worth it."
_______________
Kim and I spent hours doing our hair, painting our toes, and putting on makeup. We busied ourselves with music and conversation while doing so. I was excited to be going to prom with Eric. I knew my parents would flip if they knew, so I decided to leave that part out,

I stepped into my heels and strapped them up before getting up from my bed and grabbing my dress. I slipped into it carefully and zipped it up before taking a look in the mirror. I decided not to go with too many ruffles but with a simple, long white gown. Kim steps into my room and spins before posing.

"What you think girl?" She asks

"You look beautiful." I said admiring the black dress that boldly showcased her curves.

"And so you are you." She said before running to my mirror and admiring myself in it.

I put my earrings in and grabbed my purse before opening the door to my room and walking out. We met my parents and her parents in the living room so we could take pictures.