3

Marks POV
"Dad I'm fine. I know Hannah is going to need a lot of attention and I know you still love me. If I ever have a problem I'll let you know but you shouldn't worry about me." Josh said.
"Your an amazing and mature boy for sixteen years old." I said.
"Thanks dad." Josh said and then we were left to sit there and wait.
Hannah's POV.
I woke up staring at a stranger giants face.
"Mom, dad!" I immediately screamed but the stranger spoke up.
"Hannah it's okay. You're in the hospital and I'm your doctor, I'm Doctor Jones." The doctor explained.
"What happened?" I asked.
"Well actually I need to ask you a few questions, is that ok?" The doctor asked.
"Can I please just see my family?" I asked.
"Of course but these questions are very important so do you mind if we go through them first?" The doctor asked and pulled up a chair so he wasn't towering over me as much.
"Okay what kind of questions?"
"Well your adopted father told us on the phone that the wound on your back was from your biological father." The doctor started and paused for a second.
"Yes that's true." I said.
"Okay and do you mind me telling me where he is now?" The doctor asked and got his pen ready for the clipboard that he had in his lap.
"He was left on earth so he is probably dead." I said.
"I'm sorry I know this is hard to talk about, we will be done shortly. Now can you tell me how that wound opened." The doctor asked.
"Oh, well these girls started using me has a doll and put me in a very tight dress. I couldn't get it off so my mom ripped it off and when it ripped off it opened up the wound." I explained.
"So there is no more abuse in your life right?" The doctor asked.
"Oh no! They wouldn't hurt me like this on purpose. They saved me and would never abuse me. Please don't think that they would do something so horrid." I said quickly.
"Ms Clark everything's fine I had to ask you these questions by law but I believe you. Now your family is out in the waiting room, would you like me to send them back?" The doctor asked.
"Please." I said and then the doctor nodded and left.
I looked down at my arms and saw the old marks from clawing and beatings and saw the the needle in my arm. I followed the line up to the huge machine next to the gigantic bed I was in. I couldn't believe that they could help me.
Then I heard the fast thundering steps travel the hall and my new family arrived in my room.
"Oh thank god your okay!" My....well my mom said to me.
"I'm okay." I said smiling has they all dragged chairs up next to my bed.
"Did they tell you what happened?" Dad asked.
"No did they tell you?" I asked.
"Well when you old wound opened up you lost a lot of blood. So when we brought you here they took you back and stitched up you wound. However they said the way it was going to heal, your back is going to look the same has before, the scar will still be there." Dad explained.
"Oh okay. That's okay." I gave them a fake smile, I really just wish the scars would go away but I knew that I would live the rest of my life with these scars.
"It's okay Hun. How do you feel right now?" Dad asked.
"I feel fine, my back hurts a little but nothing I can't handle." I said.
"They haven't even injected your pain meds in yet Hannah your back must be on fire." Josh said looking at my IV.
"I'm alright, I can hold out until they get here." I said and I took a deep breath. My back burned like crazy but I have experienced worse pain than this.
"Hold on I'll go get the Doctor. " Dad said has he ran out of the room.
"Just hold honey. The meds will make this a lot easier." Mom said has she used her finger to gently rub my head.
"When can I go home?" I asked looking up at her.
"The doctor didn't say, but I think you might just need to spend the night tonight and come home tomorrow." She said gently.
"So I'm going to have to stay here by myself?" I asked worriedly.
"Well Josh has to go to school and I have to go to work tomorrow but I think your dad is off work tomorrow. Maybe you should give him the puppy eyes and sucker him to staying." She said smiling at me.
"Oh he doesn't have to stay, I'll be okay by myself." I said giving her a fake smile.
"Oh Hun he is going to beg you to stay I bet. Plus I think they want one of us to stay anyway." Mom said and before I could respond dad and Doctor Jones came in.
"Okay Clark family, visiting hours are ending so I would like to ask if someone is staying with Hannah tonight?" Doctor Jones asked.
"I am." Dad said.
"Alright well I'm going to give her the pain meds and I'm sorry to ask but everyone other than Hannah and Mr. Clark will have to leave. However, if Hannah does well she can go home tomorrow." Doctor Jones said.
"Okay we will leave here in a minute, thank you Doctor Jones." Linda said.
Doctor Jones quickly changed the IV bag for the one with pain medication in it and then left the room to give us some privacy.
"Alright dear we have to head home but you have dad right here so everything is going to be fine." Mom said.
"Will you come get us tomorrow?" I asked.
"I'll sneak out of work early just to bring you home how does that sound?" She asked smiling.
"Oh thank you mom!" I smiled at her.
"No problem honey. I'll see you tomorrow." She kissed her finger and touched the side of my face. When she started pulling her finger away I quickly grabbed it and hugged it.
"Thank you again, I love you." I said has I hugged her finger.
"I love you too dear." She smiled and rubbed my back with her thumb.
I let go of her finger and Josh walked up and knelt by the bed.
"I'm glad your doing better Hannah you had us worried." Josh said.
"I'll be okay. I'm tougher than I look." I smiled and stuck my arms out.
"Give me a hug before you leave." I giggled.
Josh brought his hand to me and I hugged his thumb. When I hugged his thumb he wrapped his other fingers around me.
"Alright Hannah I wish I could stay but we got to get going. We will see you tomorrow alright?" Josh said has he pulled his hand away.
"Okay see you tomorrow." I waved to them has they left the room. When they left I looked up to my dad.
"Thank you for staying with me, I was kinda scared to stay here by myself." I admitted.
"Of course sweetheart, I would be a nervous wreck at home." He said.
"I'm sorry for scaring you all like that." I said.
"You don't need to apologize for anything. We are just happy that you're ok now." He said.
"I just feel bad that I'm a burden to you all now." I said sadly.
"Hey hey don't talk like that. I'm so happy that you are here in our lives now and I'm extra happy to see you getting a little more comfortable with us." He said smiling at me.
"I really do like it at home." I said honestly.
"We're not perfect but we do love each other, and we love you." He gently stroked my hair.
Then the hospital started shutting down the lights out in the hallway and the some of the nurses were leaving.
"I guess it's getting pretty late so why don't you try and get some real sleep this time." Dad said smiling and he turned around to sit in a comfortable chair.
"You can sleep in the bed if you like." I asked seeing him trying to get comfortable in the chair.
"No baby I'm okay you need to get some rest so we can leave tomorrow." Dad said.
"Dad..." I started.
"What's wrong dear?" He sat up and looked at me.
"Can you please sleep with me?" I asked. I was scared to be in this huge bed by myself in a huge scary hospital. I finally had a dad that made me safe.
Marks POV
I looked at her small figure on the huge bed and she honestly looked scared.
"Oh baby are you sure you want that?" I asked.
"Please I'm scared." She said softly.
She has gone through so much and acts so mature for her age that I forget sometimes that she's only eight years old. She is still just a little girl that hasn't had a father there to protect her when she's scared.
"Hey there's no need to be scared. Look how about I lay with you and I turn on some TV?" I asked her.
"Thank you." She said.
I walked over to the door and closed the door, then I pulled her blinds shut so our room was closed off. I then walked over back to Hannah's bed and took off my shoes.
"Alright I'm going to pick you and lay down ok?" I warned her because I don't like just grabbing her.
"Okay." She said and I gently scooped her up in my hand, I had to be careful with her IV line.
I gently climbed into the bed, still sitting up slightly, and placed Hannah on my chest. I pulled up the covers over her and I started looking through channels.
"What would you like to watch sweetheart?" I asked her.
"Is there still any football on? I missed it all earlier." She said and I smiled down at her.
"You and I are going to get along great." I told her.
I found a football game and I turned it on. It was actually the same game I wanted to watch earlier.
"Are you a Ravens fan?" I asked her.
"You have the same teams that we do?" She looked at me surprised.
"We got this sport from you guys so the teams came with it." I explained.
"And you like the Ravens?" She asked again.
"Yes I am." I said.
"Oh you are my dad!" She giggled and hugged my thumb that was right next to her, making sure she wouldn't fall.
"I'm happy you can watch this with me." I smiled down at her.
"It's a rival game against the Steelers!" She said has she looked up at the screen.
"Your right and we're winning." I said seeing the score.
"Wait how could they not call that holding! And that pass interference on our wide receiver was plain has day! Ugh that would have put us at least thirty yards down the field if they caught it." Hannah was yelling has she watched the game. I could tell she wasn't joking about loving football.
"Two minute warning with no time outs great! Just dandy." Hannah said frustrated.
"Hannah we're up by a touchdown." I said.
"Yes but Steelers have a great special teams that's nothing to mess with and we are down five of our starters due to stupid injures. If they get a good run back and the steelers offense takes there time with there drive and score then we aren't going to have time to come back and try to score again. And if we lose this game than we will lose our spot at the top of our division." Hannah ranted.
"You really do know your football. I'm a proud dad." I said lightly since she was focused on the game.
"Interception!" She yelled excitedly but when she jumped up she quickly sat down and her face squinted up in pain.
"Are you okay?" I asked worriedly.
"Yea I'm fine just got a little excited." She said.
"Well we won the game. You must be a good luck charm." I said.
"Let's hope so I would love to actually watch the Super Bowl because my teams in it this year." She said to me smiling.
"That would be nice but for now how about we get some sleep?"
"That sounds good." She said has she yawned.
I gently picked her up and shifted over to my side and set her on the bed.
"Do you feel scared anymore?" I asked her.
"I've never had someone make me feel safe before." She said has she walked over and laid next to my chest.
"I'll keep you safe little one, I promise." I said has she hugged my shirt and I gently laid my hand behind her in a sort of hug.
"I wish I was your real daughter. Then we could do fun stuff together." Hannah said has she started to close her eyes.
"You are my daughter in my mind Hannah. Don't think those bad thoughts." I whispered to her.
"But I want to be big like you." She said.
"Shhhh Hannah it's okay. Your perfect like you are ok? Get some sleep for me. I'll be right here when you wake up ok?" I said trying to get her to sleep.
"Please don't leave me dad. I love you." She said and I could tell that she was half way between being asleep and being awake.
"I'll never leave you sweetheart. I love you too, I'll see you in the morning." I said and she didn't respond. I looked down and saw her hugging my shirt.
I couldn't believe the swelling in my heart just by looking at her. She is small even by human standards and yet she has me wrapped around her finger. I couldn't believe someone could ever look at her with her long dark, almost black, hair and bright blue eyes , unlike any blue eyes I have ever seen, and actually want to hurt her. Some cruel man actually had the honor of being close to her size and being her father and threw it away. Not only threw it away but scarred this child for life, and not even just the physical scars but the mental ones has well. I would do anything to be able to be Hannah's size so I could give her a real hug but I'm glad she is here now.
I laid my head down on the pillow and kept my hand around Hannah while she slept. She deserved a good nights sleep after the long day she had.
We laid there for a little while and right when I was about to fall asleep I felt twitching underneath my hand. I looked down and saw Hannah had tears streaming down her small cheeks, she was kicking, and she had a death grip on my shirt.
"No, no, no. Please go away, please." She cried.
I slowly sat up and scooped Hannah up into my hands.
"Shhh baby come on wake for me." I said and I stroked her hair with my finger.
"I don't want to go!" She yelled and thrashed around more in her sleep then she started hyperventilating.
"No baby come on you don't have to go anywhere. It's just a dream Hannah." I said and then her eyes opened up.
When she saw it was me she immediately hugged my thumb.
"Oh thank goodness. It was just a dream." She panted.
"What happened?" I asked.
"My dad was here. He came to this world and was taking me away from you. This dream was so real though, all of them were real but this was different. I went to this school with Josh and the other giants and my dad was there and started taking me away. That won't happen right?" She looked up me.
"No sweetheart I would never let that happen to you. I won't let him hurt you anymore ok?" I told her but I couldn't believe the dream. That's the only way we can send her to school. Josh's high school is the only option for Hannah since they have the human school in his school. They want to integrate the humans and giants so the schools are combined.
"I'm sorry for waking you up." Hannah said.
"It's okay baby. Just know it's a dream. I won't let your dad ever hurt you again ok?" I told her and I used the pad of my thumb to wipe her tears.
"Your my dad now." She smiled and hugged my thumb.
"I love you Hannah. Now you don't have anything to worry about so you can have sweet dreams this time." I smiled at her and I laid her next to me while I laid on my side.
-------
I couldn't tell Hannah we had a meeting with the school at noon. That dream she described was accurate to what could happen and it was freaking me out. I couldn't imagine Hannah's father coming back and trying to hurt her.
"Dad what are we going to do when mom picks us up?" She asked.
"Okay Hannah I don't want you to get scared when I tell you this ok?" I said knowing I couldn't hide it from her.
"What's wrong?" She asked worriedly.
"We have a meeting with your new school." I said.
"Josh's school?" She asked.
"It is Josh's school but you have nothing to worry about. I'll be there with you and when you go to school you'll have Josh there to protect you so everything will be fine." I said.
"Yes sir." She said and looked down, I knew she was still very scared.
"Hannah I would never put you in a situation where I didn't think you were safe." I explained.
Just then Linda walked through the door.