Chapter One: The Return

Start from the beginning

“Sure thing. See you in English,” I replied casually, mounting the steps and dodging bustling students with much difficulty. Ugh this is too much. I forgot how much I hated people. Unfortunately, due to my month-long absence, my straight-A average had dropped down to mostly Cs. I had a ton of work ahead of me if I wanted to end the year with a perfect 4.0 GPA again.

              As I was approaching my locker, I spotted Allison Argent across the hall, talking animatedly with her best friend Lydia Martin. Ever since Allison’s psychotic bitch of a mom had died and Allison and the Argents had hunted down Derek and the pack for revenge, our friendship had been over. The moment I’d started hating her with everything in me, however, had been when the hunters had attacked our safe house last month, set up explosives, and blown up the house with all of us inside. Of course, being werewolves and all, Derek and the pack had had about ten seconds notice before the bombs went off, considering they heard the ten-second countdown warning beep with their enhanced audible range. Derek had wrapped his entire body around mine literally a split-second before the house had caught fire, while Erica and Isaac had simply made a dash for the door, being on the downstairs floor. After the initial explosion, Derek had cradled me in his arms and made a jump out of our second-story window to the safety of the ground below. Boyd, unfortunately, had been stuck in his room on the top floor, and hadn’t made it out of the house before it burned to the ground. The hunters had been waiting outside for us, and Derek, Erica and Isaac had just barely managed to fight them off. After that we’d been forced to flee in case they came back, but Erica had refused to leave without Boyd.

            “He’s in there, Derek! I know he is! And he needs our help. If we turn our backs on him now, we might as well have signed his death sentence!” Erica cried, running back towards the burning, crumbling mess that had been our safe house for the past few weeks. Derek sprinted forward, tackling her to the ground and pinning her arms above her head while Erica struggled relentlessly.

“Erica, listen to me-“

“LET ME GO! LET ME GO DEREK OR I SWEAR TO GOD I’LL-“

ERICA! There’s nothing you can do for him now! Boyd is dead. Do you hear me? He’s dead!” Derek boomed, his hands tightening around Erica’s wrists. I knew he had to act tough and emotionless for Erica and Isaac’s benefit, but he was clearly devastated, too. I seemed to be in shock, as my mind tried to wrap itself around the horrifying scene in front of me. Boyd, trapped in that burning building. Dying. Maybe already dead.

“No, no, no, HE’S NOT DEAD!” Erica shrieked, tears streaming down her face as she kicked and fought against her Alpha. Isaac stood beside me, his eyes fixated on the flaming wreckage in front of us. His expression was inscrutable, his eyes glassy, and without saying a word, he slipped his hand into mine. I burst into tears – painful, wracking sobs that drove me to my knees and had me holding my stomach as it contracted. I couldn’t handle it. Isaac kneeled down beside me and pulled me into his arms, while my fingers clenched tightly onto his t-shirt. It felt like I’d just gotten my chest ripped out, like there was this gaping hole inside of me that was screaming. Every cell in my body was yelling at me to fix this, to run inside and grab Boyd and make everything okay, but I knew I couldn’t. There was nothing, nothing in the entire world that could ever make this okay. 

          With every ounce of will power I could muster up, I forced myself to walk calmly past Allison and open my locker. Don’t do it Chris. Stay in control. Even though she’s the fucking bitch responsible for Boyd’s death and she’s the reason for all your pain, all of Erica’s pain, Isaac’s…Derek’s…Before I could stop myself I found my hands curled tightly into fists and red hot anger washed over me like a tsunami. The only thought in my mind was to get my hands on Allison’s little face and just choke her until all the life had been flushed out of her despicable body. No, I told myself fiercely, and to channel my anger I reeled back and punched the door of my locker as hard as I could. Gasps went up around me, and I looked up to see Allison smirk and walk away with Lydia, as though she’d won. Calm down, Laymen. Just take a deep breath. I did, and although the dark, bubbling rage still lingered beneath the surface, I was able to shake it off and go to my first period class of the day, Trigonometry.