Crevice Cave

After Holly explained the basic plan I created to Jace, we decided to venture out into the forest to look for any of the passengers including Seth and my sister. Before we left the shade of the palm trees we placed coconuts along the sand in the shape of an arrow pointing into the forest. Hopefully that would show anyone who may be wandering on the shore that someone made the arrow and is in the forest.

Ever since the plane crashed, I lost track of time. I was assuming that it had to be at least around noon. Holly and I helped Jace walk through the forest to keep him from applying pressure on his wound, but he insisted on walking on his own. Guess that must be his manly pride kicking in.Twigs snapped underneath our feet and the cool of the shade from the trees kept us from getting sunburned. We stopped occasionally to eat the berries that sprouted in patches along the forest floor. The dew off of the leaves gave us water to quench our thirst. We walked for what felt liked forever but I reluctantly found the path I created towards the lagoon.

"We can rest here for a moment." I said and pointed at the lagoon.

"Woah." Jace look in wonder at the crystal water. "You found this?" he asked while dipping his finger into the pool of water. It rippled in response to his touch, spreading outwards and disappearing.

"It was right before I found Holly." I said and sat on a nearby tree trunk. The trunk was covered in lush green moss that made it easy to sit on. The sound of the mini water fall provided a soothing effect, making everything around us have a calm aura. Oddly enough, I felt at peace and I could feel a wave of sleepiness tug at my eyes.

"It's beautiful." Holly spun in a circle taking in the view. My vision made it seem like she moved in slow motion.

"We have to keep moving." Jace stood up abruptly and started walking towards the thickets.

"Wait. we need to rest." Holly trailed behind him almost tripping.

"Cleo?" Jace stopped and looked at me waiting. I snapped back into reality and my eyes readjusted.

"Oh um.. Steph and Seth and the others could be anywhere. We have to keep looking." I walked passed them both avoiding eye contact. I felt a tug at my heart walking away from the lagoon but it quickly subsided. Jace had a point though, we had to look for the others. My sister could be out there, back on the shore or in the water. There wasn't time to rest, we had to find the others.

Holly followed Jace and Jace behind me. We passed the tall, skyscraper tropical trees; walked up a a large hill that made my calves burn and ache with every step, until finally we reached a dry patched area. The ground went from lush green grass to dry chalky rocks and dust. The sky was now visible and it made everything brighter. The storm clouds were long gone and left behind a clear blue sky. There were tan and white stones sprinkled across the dusty ground. Jace, Holly and I had to shield our eyes from the sun's brightness. We were tired and panting from our long walk. I kept an eye on Jace, who was limping his way over to a large, circular stone mass that stuck out of the ground sat in the middle of the area. He braced himself against the tan stone and looked around.

"What now?" he asked wiping the sweat from his brow.

Holly was already leaned against a smaller boulder wiping her sweat damped hair from her face and examining her feet. I could see tiny blisters forming underneath her black sandals. From our view, we were on high ground. Or maybe on top of the island. I could see the shore with the palm trees where we were at awhile ago. My eyes strained to see if there was anything lying on the shore but it was an ongoing vast shade of tan that glistened in the sun. My view of the other side of the island was blocked by another set of trees that ran along side the edge of the tan rocks.

"I don't see anyone." my voice cracked as I tried to swallow back tears. Where is my sister? Where is Seth? Where is everyone else?

"Cleo. We can't give up yet. We have to keep looking and still check back at the shore before sundown." Jace said trying to calm me. Holly moved from her spot and embraced me, rubbing my back.

"We'll find them Cleo." Holly said into my shoulder.

"Let's check around this huge rock and scan the rest of the area. Then we'll head back to the shore." Jace began making his way around the large mass of rock.

I walked beside Holly as we followed Jace. To our disbelief the circular rock turned out to be a crevice, or more like a cave. Holly, Jace and I peered inside. There was a small patch of water inside, probably from rainfall with little wisps of green looking grass sticking out of it. The sun shined straight through the hole almost fitting the shape exactly, and spreading light all throughout the cave. Particularly on one body laying flat out on the dirt and another sprawled next to it.

"Stephanie?" I breathed in the words.