Natural Singer

Singing.

I love to sing, but I'm always told to shut up when I try to. Dancing, people would give you weird looks, but they won't stop you. I remember back in the suburbs, a few friends and I used to try to copy this YouTube group called Pentatonix.

We used to get together and sing the parts they used to sing. We did, however, get one song correct. We did Where are U now, and oh my god that was the biggest thing I've ever succeeded in. After I left, I felt bummed out that I couldn't sing with them, but I got over it.

Why am I thinking of this now? Guess that's what happens when you starts singing after a few weeks. I was in the empty studio, and I started singing my part of the song.

I gave you the key when the door wasn't open.

Just admit it.

See I gave you fate when you doubted to hope.

Can't deny it.

Now all I'm all alone and my joy turning open.

Tell me here.

Where are you now that I need you.

Where are you now?

Where are you now that I need you?

Couldn't find you anywhere.

When you go down I didn't leave you.

I was by your side, so where are you now that I need you?

Where are you now that I need you?

The song made me wonder. Where was anyone when I needed them most. I mean, Dad and Mom are alcoholics, so they're out of the picture, no one in the class wants to talk to me, and Home Boy is the only person I know that'll even speak hi to me.

I started to then slowly started to look at my reflection in the mirror. It was of a frail girl, with a pink t-shirt that said Jane on it, jeans with holes throughout them, and had short highlighted hair strands along dark brown hair. The only normal about me are my eyes. At least, in my opinion.

I looked out the windows that repeated along the opposite wall from the mirror. The 5:00 pm sunlight was peering over the waters of the orangish- yellow ocean. I heard faint calls of seagulls, in the distance and I started tearing up.

I remembered when I was younger, when my dad used to hide the fact that my mom was an alcoholic and we used to play in the sand of the beaches near us. I remember building a sand castle and he was the king and I was the princess.

I took a deep breath and wiped the tears falling from my face. I never wanted to cry ever again. It's just a waste, and it's embarrassing at times. I started to turn around but looked back at the scarlet sky. The sun made it shine like a diamond.

I sigh and looked forward. But when I did, I wasn't happy to see the person in front of me.

Julia.

"Were you crying like a baby again, Rookie?" she joked, "Why don't you do that at home and crawl into your mommy's arms? Oh yeah! 'Cause she doesn't care for you!"

She started laughing hysterically, but right as she did, I socked her in the face. She went sprawling backwards, to the floor, and she looked at me. Fear filled her eyes instantly, and I smirked.

"I don't need to cry no more," I said, "And I don't need no one." What a lie that was.

I cracked my fingers, and Julia tensed. I laughed evilly and take my phone out to start dancing. Thank god Julia's too big of a coward to tell about what I did. I was just glad to have a drama free dancing day.

At the end of the day, Julia was the first to flee the studio. Thank. God. I stayed behind a bit because of the sun setting in the background still. I smiled at the golden image it reflected off, and before I knew it, Home Boy was in view of my scenery.

"Hey!" I protested, "I was watching the sunset, you know."

He chuckled.

"It's just fun to mess with you," he replied.

I groan and adjust my backpack to leave.

"Hey!" he shouted after me, "Wait up!"

I looked at him behind me, and stopped.

"Why do you always follow behind me?" I asked, "I mean, out of all people, why me?"

He looks to me as I begin walking again.

"I don't know. I guess you're just..... different."

"In a good or bad way?" I asked.

"What do you think?"

"Bad."

He laughed and started walking backwards in front of me.

"Yup. Got it right."

I rolled my eyes and pushed the metal door open. I then heard my phone vibrate in my pocket, and when I took it out I wished I never heard it. On the radiant screen, it showed a picture of my mom taking a picture of my dad. What's so bad about it?

His face is all bloodied.

I gasped and the phone fell out of my hand. Home Boy looked at me, shocked.

"What's up?" he asked, picking up my phone, "What the hell....?"

I couldn't even comprehend anything. My dad was injured, my mom took a picture of it, and SENT IT TO ME!? I took my phone from Home Boy and looked at where the location was. It was in front of the empire state building.

I put my phone in my pocket and ran to the direction of the tall building.

What even happened to Dad?!