2.8

l u k e

"What's up with you, grumpy?" Calum asked as he eyed me from his bed. A tennis ball was bouncing between us lazily, and it was the only noise being heard in the room except Calum's quiet singing.

"Nothing" I mumbled and caught the green ball before bouncing it back to Calum.

"Something," Calum argued and gave me a look when I rolled my eyes at him, "Just tell me. You're so distant lately, it's like you act like we don't even know each other"

I bit the inside of my cheek and sighed as I looked up at him with a small frown. I was thinking hard about what to tell him, because I didn't want him to think I was keeping something away from him, but I kind of was.

Or, I really was.

"I didn't notice" I mumbled again, trying to get myself out of the situation as easy as possible. Though, Calum still didn't believe me and rolled his eyes before throwing the ball at me, making it hit the wall just by my head.

"What was that?" I asked and frowned as I looked at him with confused eyes.

"I'm mad at you" he answered and shrugged.

"Then tell me that, don't fucking throw things at me!"

"You're the one to talk," Calum muttered, "You and Ashton solved every little argument with hurting each other"

"Well, not anymore" I scoffed.

"Maybe that's because you're suddenly best friends?" Calum asked and sat up in his bed to look at me with a raised eyebrow.

"You're still hung up on that, really?" I asked and chuckled, seeing Calum roll his eyes again.

"Well, yeah," he spoke in a serious voice, making me look at him, "I mean, you're my best friend and we've known each other basically since we were born and I've never seen you like this, man. You've changed"

I frowned and chuckled awkwardly as I sat up in Niall's bed, "I have not changed" I argued.

"Yes you have" Calum spoke as if it was obvious, "I don't know how or in which way, but you've changed"

I licked my lips and looked down at my fingers in my lap, having no idea what to tell him. Maybe he was right. Hell, he is right. I had just been too occupied with this little imaginary bubble Ashton and I had, to realize that people actually noticed.

And immediately, I grew nervous. I couldn't have to whole camp knowing about the things Ashton and I have done because a few weeks ago, even I was in denial about it. I was fucking mad at myself for giving in to the guy I hated the most. But now I didn't hate him, I didn't hate him at all, and I wasn't mad anymore.

"Actually, both you and Ashton have changed since you became 'mates'" Calum spoke up again, making me tense up for a few second.

"Well, of course we've changed. If we didn't change towards each other then we'd probably still throw punches left to right. When you actually make peace, you kind of have to change your previous methods" I said, making Calum roll his eyes once again and I was starting to grow irritated in the lack of faith he had in me.

"You know how I mean, and that's not it. I'm not stupid, I know something is wrong with Ashton and I know you have it figured out. And now you two have like your own secret club where no one else is invited" Calum spoke, surprising me fully.

"If this was kindergarten I'd cry, because my best friend doesn't even invite me to join the club" Calum spoke again and gave me a small grin to make it up as a joke, but I knew he meant it as serious.