22

Katianna didn't want to wake up at 5:00 in the morning. Especially not when it was her eighteenth birthday that day.

The only reason she was forced to wake up that early in the day was because Luke had planned on spending a whole day (and he meant a whole day) with his daughter. Since he knew that Kat wasn't going to be with him full-time for long, he wanted to make the best out of this day in mid-August.

As the two made breakfast, the sky seemed to have gotten brighter and brighter by each hour and the mood of Luke seemed to have gotten darker and darker until the clock struck to the hour of 6.

It was a nice evening and the sun was still pretty high in the sky. Luke was planning on watching horror movies and binging on the birthday cake he got her for the rest of the day, maybe until midnight, but that dream diminished as Katianna was putting her shoes on.

There she was, looking in the mirror and fixing up her hair while her dad was setting up the DVD player.

"Um, Kat, I thought we were gonna watch some movies.." Luke pointed to the TV, his shoulders slumped.

"Oh," Kat turned away from the mirror, looking back at her dad. "Well.. Yvonne asked me to go to a club with her and like, since I'm at the age now I thought I could go.."

"Oh.." Luke's small smile turned into a small frown. "Okay, have fun."

"Bye dad," Katianna waved, stepping out the door. "I love you," And then she left.

- - -

"This is crazy," Yvonne stepped in with her best friend, trying not to regret this. "..But it's gonna be fun. We're gonna have a fun time."

"It was your idea," Her friend shrugged, walking in. The two friends squeezed past a few rowdy crowds but accidentally bumped into a tall blonde man.

"Is that you, Little Hemmo?" The two girls never thought that they would ever have to hear that stupid nickname ever again. "And is that you, Blue Ivy?"

"Gordon!...." Kat said enthusiastically, but with sarcasm too. "I never thought I would ever bump into you ever again."

"Well, it seems like we've crossed paths again!" Gordon grinned. He stood there with his hands on his hips for a few moments before he asked the girls if they wanted a drink.

"Sure," Yvonne shrugged.

As the girls took their first gulp of beer, a group of 10 came to the bar, exhausted from the dance floor.

"Eight beers," A boy with spiked up brown hair laid his hands on the counter, money between his hands, right next to Yvonne, ordering the bartender.

"Anything for your crew, Connor," The bartender nodded, taking the bottles from the cooler and handing it to the group of 10.

"Cameron!" A girl began. "You can really twerk!" The whole group laughed along, agreeing with the statement. Gordon congratulated Kat and Ivy, trying to make it such a big deal for them.

"I've had enough," Kat coughed, feeling a burn in her throat. "That's enough."

"It's not that bad once you have more," Gordon explained. "Take a shot or something."

"Why are you still here?" Yvonne asked, raising an eyebrow at the older boy.

"Fine, I'll go," Gordon raised his hands up, backing away. "I'll be with the DJ up there if you need me." And then he left. The atmosphere suddenly got all tense when Katianna and Cameron met eyes. They just stared at each other for a while before Yvonne asked her friend what she was looking at.

"Oh, uh, nothing," Kat looked away from Cameron, and at Ivy. "What're we doing now?"

"I don't know. What do you wanna do?"

"Hey, Ivy!" Ricky broke the other conversation, seeing two friendly faces. "Hey, Kat!"

"Oh my god, Ricky!" Yvonne stood up, hugging him. As Kat's only other company loosened up and grew confident, joining the group, Cameron decided to stay at the bar and sit with the lonely girl.

"Hey," Cameron turned to Katianna, pursing his lips. She gave him a small wave, not saying anything to him. "We haven't talked a lot ya know?"

"Well, you kinda spammed me with likes and comments on my instagram so I couldn't really talk to you.." Kat explained awkwardly. There were 5 minutes of silence before Cameron asked, "What if we hang out right now?"

"Sure."

~

"I'm home d-" Kat announced as she got in the apartment, but paused as she didn't see the familiar face anywhere. "-ad?"