17

It was a new year, and it had been a year without a phone for Katianna. It had also been a year of distance and simple conversations between the father and daughter.

It was the worst year ever.

Luke decided that Kat should start walking to school everyday since it only took half an hour to get there. She didn't really care, and so she just walked out of the apartment building and headed the way her dad showed her.

Her 13th birthday a couple weeks ago wasn't even close to as special as her 12th birthday the year before, as Luke didn't even bother to say Happy Birthday to her.

Now, I see what you're probably thinking. This fanfiction was supposed to be a book about a dad providing his daughter with the perfect life and everything is supposed to be fabulous and everything, but now it's all just going downhill from here..I think.

- - -

"I hate my dad," Katianna grumped as her group sat at their usual lunch table. "All he ever does now is bitch at me for 'under-appreciating' him and 'not acting my age.' Like, I'm always helping around the household and I'm pretty sure I act thirteen!"

"Well, you are kinda spoiled for a person in a 'struggling family,'" Lucy shrugged, making Kat give her a little glare.

"No one asked for your opinion," Katianna snarled, and Lucy raised her hands up in defense.

"Well no one really asked for your rant anyways so neither of us get what we want." The two girls stood up tall, Kat towering 4 inches over the other girl.

"Okay, okay, sit down, sit down," Ashton couldn't take the tension anymore, ordering the girls to sit their butts back down in their seats.

"Yeah guys," Calum pulled his friend Kat down in her seat and she calmed back down, for once not being revived by the music from her earbuds, but from the fact that Calum was just..Talking to her.

"You guys are glaring at each other for nothing," Yvonne explained. "Like, iPhones aren't something you should fight about. I have a stupid HTC but I'm not complaining. Okay, Kat, I know you're going through 'tough times' but-"

"You know my dad didn't even bother to say happy birthday to me right?" Katianna looked over to Ivy (Yvonne's nickname) with a straight face. "And he and I aren't even close anymore. It's like we-we're as close as strangers."

"Whoa whoa whoa," Ashton stopped the girl. "So you're ranting about your dad not being like, your BFF anymore? Well guess what, I have to switch houses every week because my parents divorced. But no, I'm not complaining!"

"No one asked you to vent out your life Ashton," Calum defended, and everyone stayed silent.

- - -

"My brother's planning to take me somewhere cool," Calum explained as he and Kat finished school. "Do you wanna come along?"

"What are you guys doing?"

"I don't know...Probably going to his friends' after-school party."

"Is it one of those lame geek parties with the hats that everyone wears and the musical chairs and-" Katianna began to laugh to herself until Calum shook his head no.

"They're in year 12," He answered. "They're probably gonna get wasted and shit." As Kat scrunched up her nose, she shook her head and declined.

"Well that's okay," Calum shrugged with a crooked smile. "Let's go to the alley."

"Why?"

"So we can-" The boy paused as he took out a spray paint bottle from his backpack.

"Um..I'll just watch then.."

- -

"What should I make?" Calum asked, shaking the can and looking at the empty brick wall.

"I don't know," Kat shrugged, staring at the wall too.

"I'll try to make some pretty shit...Like that Coca-Cola sign."

"I didn't know that people thought of what to graffiti."

"Well then I may be the first person to think so." Calum began, and Kat just stared at him do something he definitely wasn't allowed to do. What if they get caught by the police? What if they get caught by an old and cranky lady? That was even worse.

Once Calum finished, he gave the can to Kat and switched his snapback's peak to the back. "Make something."

"Why?"

"Because I want you to."

"Why?" Katianna asked again.

"Just do it." Katianna looked at Calum for a few moments before looking at the smaller empty area of the wall. She shook the can slowly and jumped at the sudden noise that the spray can was producing.

She sprayed a K, and then an A and T before Calum interrupted her.

"You know you're gonna get into some deep shit if you write your name, right?"

And then she wrote an E before Calum told her to hide.

"I heard the sound of teenagers and that dang ol' spray!" An old, cranky woman yelled, stepping foot in the alley. "Where are you, rapscallions?!"

Kat and Calum were packed together behind a garbage bin, the girl sitting on the boy's lap. It was "only" 5 minutes before the woman muttered,

"This generation is messed up." And she walked away. There was a sudden honk, and Kat looked out the alley to see her dad with his window rolled down.

"Get. In."

"Not you Calum. Katianna."

A/N I feel like deleting this story but I'm so close to the end so for the few people out there who like it, I'll keep publishing the next chapters :3

Vote? Comment?? You can do so if you want :)

Btw I just wanted to say; THANK YOU FOR ALMOST 400 READS!! HOLY SHIETTTTTT