12

"Happy birthday to youuuuu!" Luke sang with a smile as Katianna blew her twelve candles.

Kat cut the chocolate cheesecake and gave a slice to her father, quietly enjoying their pieces of cake. It was awkward for a while.

"Kat, I'm sorry I wouldn't let you have a birthday party. It's just that I'm-"

"Not rich. I know that. It's okay," Katianna beamed at Luke, whose worry was wearing off by her smile.

"Well, yes that, but it's just that..Your friends have both a mum and dad and it just makes me feel awkward inside and-"

"Then get a girlfriend."

"A girlfriend?"

"A girlfriend." Whenever Luke mentioned the word 'parents,' Kat would always think about her mum who only stayed with her and her dad for a year. One of the things on Katianna's to-do-list was to meet her mum and bond with her..If her mum even liked her.

"I don't know...I haven't really been seeing anyone lately and...I think one girl in the household is enough."

"Well, thank you," Kat thanked sarcastically, then took another spoonful of cheesecake and chocolate.

"Sorry I just...Your mum wasn't exactly nice to me during her pregnancy and before. It could've been her wild hormones or just pure hatred..I don't know. But I don't want to go through that again...A-and I was dating your freakin' kindergarten teacher like, 7 years ago. "

"But what if your next mate is nice? What if her name's..Miranda? I really like the name Miranda. I've heard that Mirandas are really generous and are really pretty..That's what you want, right?"

Miranda. M i r a n d a. Oh, that horrible name.. "That's your mum's name."

"Oh.." Kat pouted. "I'm sorry dad."

"No, it's okay."

"Oh! Can I open my present now?" Katianna changed the subject, and her dad nodded with a crooked smile. She took the small bag from under the table and took a box out from inside.

The white rectangular box with a phone on the top and the words 'iPhone 5' were in black on either side of the box.

"An iPhone 5?!" Kat screamed, making Luke drop the dishes in the sink and plug his ears. She ran to his father and hugged him as tight as she could, smiling with tears almost falling out. "I love you so much dad! Thank you!!!"

"You're welcome, Katy cat," Luke hugged her back, giving her a crooked smile. It was weird how, at times, they acted more like brother-and-sister than father-and-daughter.

- - - -

Year 7, First Day of School

"Bye, Kat," Luke gave his daughter a kiss on the forehead before she walked into the doors of the hellhole known as school.

"Bye dad," Katianna hugged her dad with an arm. As she climbed out of the car, Luke last said, "Have fun!"

"That's impossible," She shook her head, then closed the passenger door, running over to her 'squad,' consisting of her, Yvonne, Lucy-Morgan, a boy named Calum, and a boy named Ashton.

As she hugged her 'squad,' Calum never seemed to let go of his best friend.

"It seems like Calum and Kat are at a good start of their relationship," Lucy-Morgan remarked, crossing her arms. The two let go, both of them blushing so much that you'd be able to see the shade of pink from a mile away.

"Shut up 'Luce," Yvonne defended. "They just haven't seen each other in a while."

"But Kat only hugged me for like, a millisecond! A minute of hugging must mean something," Lucy crossed her arms.