Mind Over Matter

***I DO NOT OWN THESE CHARACTERS***MOST OF THIS STORY IS FROM THE TWILIGHT BOOK BUT SOME IS MADE UP BY ME BECAUSE ITS NOT IN THE BOOK***

**ENJOY**

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

We drove back to hers, she didn't seem to scared. I'd put the radio on to a station that played all my old favourites, ones she'd probably never heard before, I sang along to them. I sped along the road at a speed that was probably to fast for her, she looked shocked, hardly taking her eyes off of the road as a drove with one and and her hand in my other. I glanced out to the sunset and then to her, her hair blowing in the wind coming in from her open window.

"You like fifties music?" She asked.

"Music in the fifties was good. Much better than the sixties, or the seventies, ugh! The eighties were bearable."

"Are you ever going to tell me how old you are?"

"Does it matter much?"

"No, but I still wonder... There's nothing like an unsolved mystery to keep you up at night."

"I wonder if it will upset you,"

"Try me,"

I sighed and looked towards her, watching the road from the corner of my eye, never faulting on the road. She didn't seem like she was going to be scared of the answer, but still when i told her she could react in any way and i wouldn't know what was coming. I looked back towards the sunset. "I was born in Chicago in 1901." I paused and looked at her through the corner of my eyes, she didn't look at all shocked, surprised or even disgusted. "Carlisle found me in a hospital in the summer of 1918. I was seventeen, and dying of the Spanish influenza." She gasped, I realised that i hadn't told her anything about how i'd even become what i had, never mind that i was dying. "I don't remember it well — it was a very long time ago, and human memories fade. I do remember how it felt, when Carlisle saved me. It's not an easy thing, not something you could forget."

"Your parents?"

"They had already died from the disease. I was alone. That was why he chose me. In all the chaos of the epidemic, no one would ever realize I was gone."

"How did he... save you?"

I stopped to think about how i could word this without going into too much detail, without scaring her. "It was difficult. Not many of us have the restraint necessary to accomplish it. But Carlisle has always been the most humane, the most compassionate of us... I don't think you could find his equal throughout all of history... for me, it was merely very, very painful."

I couldn't remember much of the life i lived as a human, but the memories of the burning pain of the venom spreading around me were agonising, pain that i could never put her through. She was silent for a while until i broke the silence. "He acted from loneliness. That's usually the reason behind the choice. I was the first in Carlisle's family, though he found Esme soon after. She fell from a cliff. They brought her straight to the hospital morgue, though, somehow, her heart was still beating."

"So you must be dying, then, to become..." She didn't say the word, she didn't need to though.

"No, that's just Carlisle. He would never do that to someone who had another choice. It is easier he says, though, if the blood is weak." I looked back at the road, this wasn't easy to talk about with her.

"And Emmett and Rosalie?"

"Carlisle brought Rosalie to our family next. I didn't realize till much later that he was hoping she would be to me what Esme was to him — he was careful with his thoughts around me. But she was never more than a sister. It was only two years later that she found Emmett. She was hunting — we were in Appalachia at the time — and found a bear about to finish him off. She carried him back to Carlisle, more than a hundred miles, afraid she wouldn't be able to do it herself. I'm only beginning to guess how difficult that journey was for her." I raised our hands and brushed her cheek with the back of my hand, withstanding human blood was hard enough, I'd never realised how hard it must have been for her to carry him, bleeding, all that way, until I'd come across Bella.