Part 21

"Do you think he will attack us soon?" Derek asked. His eyes wandered into the forest as if expecting someone to come out. Growls vibrated deep in his throat with each breath he made.

"If the signs are anything to go by he will attack, and he will attack soon." Josiph answered taking a deep breath of the ratchet scent as he kept speaking, "He is already trying to claim the pack as his own by being on this porch late last night. It is only a matter of time before he requests a fight with me to gain the pack's loyalty."

"What are we going to do until then?" He asked turning to Josiph as he spoke.

"I will need to talk to Lucas and Kiana about Lucian. We have to find out everything about him. We need to know his weaknesses and his strengths and even how his wolf moves." Josiph said, "It will be our only chance if we want to make it out of this alive."

"Do you think they will tell you?"

"If Lucas's love for Kiana is anything to go by he will." Josiph replied, "He will do anything to protect her."

"What about you?" Derek asked.

The two began walking down the path of the house and onto the street before Josiph said anything, "My family is my pack, and I need to protect them first. That is my job, and I will do that."

"And Lucas?"

Josiph attempted to laugh but it came out as more of a grunt, "Lucas is here to protect his family."

Derek nodded, "Yes, he is here to protect his family, but have you forgotten you are his family now as well?"

"I'm not the same kind of family." Josiph whispered. They walked passed the deserted festivities from earlier. Some food still sat on the table, but no one was around. Derek and Josiph walked to the alpha house and once inside Derek went up the stairs. Josiph on the other hand followed the sounds of talking to find his mother and father speaking to Hunter and his family.

"Hey guys." Josiph said walking into the living room.

"Hey," Hunter said sadly tilting his head to the ground as he spoke. His voice caught just at the single word and tears fell to the ground. Behind him stood his father a beefy man who grew up with Paul years ago. He had his hands gently on Hunter's shoulders in comfort but also in his way of protecting his son. Hunter's mother on the other hand stood beside Maggie. She was a gentle woman who worked in with children in the human world as well as with children in within the pack. Her eyes were filled with unshed tears as she looked up to Josiph.

"What's wrong buddy?" Josiph asked walking up to Hunter and ignoring both his parents as he put his hand gently under the teenagers chin to get him to look at him.

"Are the rumors true?" Hunter asked evenly. His voice was soft and tears still ran down his face.

"What rumors?"

Taking a deep breath before answering Hunter said, "That if I didn't take my form this full moon I would be kicked from the pack?" Diane, Hunter's mother was also crying beside Maggie as if the words hurt when said.

"Of course not," Josiph replied. "I know things have been real difficult for you and your family. I mean it would upset any teenager boy or girl whose life revolves around becoming wolf. However, we do have another plan, and hopefully within the next full moon you will be running with the rest of the pack. It could be sooner than that."

"What plan is that exactly?" Zach asked.

"Do you remember that new girl, Kiana? She came with Lucas a couple of weeks ago."