Chapter 39

Peyton's POV.

Carl pulls out his gun and slowly starts to walk in the tombs. He doesn't look scared but I am! We're only kids.

I grab onto the back of Carl's shirt and slowly follow behind him as he shines his flashlight around the dark tunnels.

I can't help but think of daddy's reaction when he finds out I went in the tombs by myself with Carl. He's gonna be so mad.

I dont know why I let Carl talk me into doing this.

We turn a corner and a walker lunges out at us. I shriek in fear and cling to Carl and he quickly gets rid of it by shooting it in the head.

I wish I could be like Carl. He doesn't seem scared of anything! Must get it from his daddy...

My daddy isn't scared of anything so how come I'm not like him?

We keep on walking and I see a sign about two doors that reads. 'INFIRMARY'

I tap Carl's shoulder. "Is that it?" I ask pointing to the double doors.

"I think so" he mutters and we walk towards the two doors.

They weren't locked so we were able to open them easily.

Again, I hid behind Carl as we peek into the dark room. Carl shines the light around, a single walker was in the corner and started to make its way toward us.

Carl turns around and hands me his gun. "Your turn" he mutters and pushes me in front of him.

"Carl no I-" I start to say but he cuts me off.

"Hurry!"

I look back at the walker and raise up Carl's gun, remembering what uncle Merle taught me, I aim the little pin at the walkers head and breathe out before squeezing the trigger. The walker falls dead. I smile and do a celebration jump "I did it!" I giggle and give Carl his gun back.

Carl laughs and gives me a high five. "We are zombie slayers" he says.

I nod in agreement and look around the room. It was filled with all kinds of medical stuff! "Carl look!" I say pointing.

He looks around and smiles.

I pick up a duffle bag from the ground and walk over to a shelf filled with gauze, wrap, some medicine called "antibiotics" and something in a brown bottle called "hydrogen peroxide". Carl joins me in stuffing if all in the bag until it's filled completely. "We're Heros Peyton!" Carl laughs.

We couldn't zip up the bag so I just carried it carefully.

We rush back to the cell block, Carl still in front with his gun watching for walkers while I'm in the back carrying the bag.

We get back to the cell block and Carl locks the door behind me. He puts his gun back in the holster and grabs the somewhat heavy bag from me, carrying it to the cell Hershel was in. I follow behind him quietly.

We get in there and Beth, Lori, and Carol were working on Hershel's leg.

Carl drops the bag beside them and a few wraps fall out. They all gasp and Carol quickly grabs a bunch and starts wrapping Hershel's leg properly. "Where did you find these?!" Lori says in amazement as she grabs a few.

"Peyton and I found the infirmary" Carl says.

Lori's expression changed "y-you went by yourselves?" She asks in shock. "Are you crazy?!" She shouts.

"It's no big deal we killed two walkers!" Carl argues back.

"Ok this" she says pointing to Hershel. "This was with the whole group"

"He needed the supplies and we got them!" Carl yells.

"I appreciate that but-" she starts but Carl interrupts.

"Then get off our backs!" He almost screams.

"Carl! You can't talk to her like that she's your mother" Beth says below us, also digging through the supplies.

Carl clenches his fist and turns around, running out of the cell.

"Peyton you know I have to tell your dad right?" Lori says looking at me.

Without answering her I turn around and leave the cell, looking to find Carl.

I find him in his cell with his head in his hands. "I hate her!" Carl grumbles.

"You don't mean that Carl" I say sitting next to him, putting my arm around his shoulder.

"We probably saved Hershel and we didn't even get a 'thanks!" He shouts. "She just yelled at us!"

I don't answer him, instead I just give him a hug and we stay like that until he calms down.

~~~

Me and Carl were sitting on the bottom step of the stairs when daddy, Rick, and T-Dog came back in.

They all go to Hershel cell and check up on him. "Where'd all these supplies come from?" Daddy asks, tapping the bag with his foot.

Oh great. Here we go.

"Why don't you ask those two over there" Lori says nodding at me and Carl.

Daddy and Rick both look over at us, waiting for an explanation. I look over at Carl and he says. "We found the infirmary"

"By yourselves?" I hear daddy growl.

"Yeah.. We saved Hershel though so how about a thanks!" Carl shouts and again... Walks off.

Rick pinches the bridge of his nose and daddy runs a hand through his hair before walking over towards me. "Come on.. We need to talk" he says grabbing my arm and pulling me away from the group. Daddy ends up outside.. I know daddy's really mad when he has to go somewhere away from the group to yell at me. Like back at the old camp when he took me to the quarry.

"What in the hell were ye' thinkin'?! Daddy shouts, waving his arms.

"You guys were busy and so we did what needed to be done" I argue.

"You two coulda got yerselves killed!" Daddy yells.

"We killed two walkers daddy! Were fine!"

"Don't talk back to me" daddy warns.

"Like when you didn't say you loved me back earlier!" I yell at him, tears in my eyes.

"Wha'?" Daddy asks, still mad.

"You don't love me back!"

Daddy sighs and runs his hand through his hair. "Go back inside.. I'm to mad to talk right now"

I sigh and nod, tears falling from my eyes as I go back inside the prison. Daddy doesn't love me.

****

I was asleep when daddy came back in. He tried to lay down quietly but I woke up anyways. "Daddy?" I say, my voice scratchy from crying so much.

"Go back to sleep baby" daddy whispers.

"You don't love me anymore" I say sadly while sitting up.

"Wha'? course I do baby.... But I'm still mad at ye'.... Ye' can' do shit like that"

"I was doing what you would've done daddy" I say.

"Ye' coulda got hurt.. Then we would've had three deaths instead of one.. It wasn't worth it" daddy whispers.

"But we didn't get hurt daddy and now Hershel is gonna be ok" I say, walking up and hugging daddy's leg.

Daddy picks me up and gives me a big hug, his hand scrunched my hair while he holds me tightly. "I can't lose ye' again"

"Don't be mad daddy"

"I'm not mad baby girl.. Just upset"

"I love you daddy" I say and kiss daddy's cheek.

Daddy smiles and kisses my cheek back. "Love ye' too princess" he whispers.