Chapter 29

Daryl's POV

All I can think about is the frightened look on Peyton's face when I left her. That's the only thing in my head. And it keeps replaying like a broken record.

You'd think being chased by a herd of walkers would get your mind off it. Nope.

I don't know how long I've been running. But I know that with each step I take its further and further from my baby girl. I can't even see the store anymore. That's how far I've been running. My legs are sore and my lungs are burning. I don't think I can run anymore but I'm not giving up that easily.

I hear a rumble in the distance. A truck rumble.

I glance ahead in the distance and see a red truck speeding my way. I run off the side as it comes screeching to a stop.

It was then I notice Shane in the drivers seat. "Come on Dixon! Don't got all day!" He yells.

I run to the passenger side and dive in as he speeds off back in the direction he came.

I take a minute to catch my breath before sitting up straight and thinking of ways to get back to Peyton. "We gotta find a way back to town" I pant.

Shane looks at me like I have two heads. "Did you not see the herd that was chasing you?! We can't go back into that!" He yells.

"My fucking daughter is back there!" I yell at him.

Shane rubs his head and the side of his face and sighs. "Look man we can't go back there I'm sorry"

I clench my fist. "Stop the truck" I say as calm as I can.

Shane ignores me.

"Hey asshole I said stop the fucking truck!" I yell and pound my fist on the dashboard.

"We need you Daryl I ain't letting you get yourself killed"

"Fuck ye' stop the damn truck before I beat yer ass right here! I ain't leavin' my daughter... Again" I yell and flinch at the word again. I can never keep her safe. What a great father I am

Shane slams on the breaks and turns to me. "How much does she mean to you?"

"So much.. Tha's my little girl.. Ye' can't expect me to leave 'we cuz I won't" I say, much more calm this time.

Shane nods and and turns the truck around. Surprising me greatly.

"I guess I kinda understand.. I would do the same for Carl" he whispers and all is silent in the truck until we approach the same herd again.

"Hold on" he says and I grab onto the handle bar that's above the door.

Shane floors it and we drive head on through the walkers. Blood and guts smear all on the windshield and it becomes very hard to see. "Shit" Shane curses under his breath as he blindly drives through a sea of walkers.

'Please don't let anything happen to Peyton' I think to myself. I seriously can not lose her again. I just can't. It would make me go insane. The last time fucked with my sanity enough and another time would push me too far. My daughter is as essential to me as oxygen.

"Go faster!" I yell, even though I know he can't.

Finally we plow through the walkers and Shane cleans off the windshield..... Somewhat.

"Where are we going?" He asks out of breath.

"Tha' store up on the corner.. I left 'er in one of the offices" I tell him and he nods.

The building finally comes into view and I bounce my leg nervously and chew on my thumbnail.

We pull to a park and I jump out of the truck, running into the building and scanning my surroundings. No walkers so that's good so far.

I run back into the office area, not caring if Shane is following or not.

"Peyton!" I holler, not too loud but loud enough she can hear me.

No answer.

My heart thumps against my chest as I slowly open the door to the room I left her in.

"Peyton" I whisper this time, peeking through the crack and then opening the door all the way.

My heart stops when I see a dead walker laying on the floor with a small wound in its forehead.

I hear whimpering from a dark corner of the room and it can only be one person. "Baby" I whisper and rush over to her.

She had blood all over her face and hands and was clutching the small knife I have her tightly in her small hands. Thank god I gave that to her when I did. She had tears rolling down her face and she looked petrified. "D-daddy" she cried.

"C'mere" I whisper and pull her into my arms. She dropped her knife and clung to me like her life depended on it.

"I killed him daddy" she cries, burying her face hard into my neck.

"Ye' did good baby.. Ye' killed a walker don't feel bad.. You saved yerself" I tell her, rubbing her back and holding her tightly to me. My voice was shaky. If she didn't kill that walker she would be dead right now.

She pulls away but I still hold her in arms reach. She sniffles and wipes her tears. "Am I strong?" She asks.

"Very strong sweetheart" I say giving her a reassuring smile.

"I'm a good Dixon right? Since I'm strong?" She giggle.

I chuckle and nod "the best" I say and she giggle.

I place my hands on her sides and she flinches.

I raise my eyebrows in confusion and tears start forming in her eyes again. "Hey hey, what's wrong baby?" I ask worried.

She shakes her head and looks at me with her pretty blue eyes. "I'm not strong daddy"

"Why ye' say that?" I ask confused.

"Because the monster bit me"