Chapter 31

Video goes with end of story

Daryl's POV

I woke up to a hot wet feeling on my chest and shoulder. My eyes slowly open to see Peyton with her head on my chest swearing furiously.

Another blow to my heart.

I place my hand on her forehead. It was super hot but she's still asleep.

Most people would be grossed out by the fact someone was sweating all over them but I could care less. My baby girl is dying in my arms and I'm so fucking tired of this feeling. So fucking sick and tired of it! I feel like screaming at the world. I just don't get it. I don't. I hope someone else does because I need them to explain it to me.

Is God punishing me for all the bad things I've done before her? If so why can't he mess with me instead? Why my sweet innocent baby.

"D-daddy?" She croaks from under my hand.

I lift my hand from her head and look down at her. Her skin was pale and her bright blue eyes were fading. She looks so sick and I can't do a fucking thing! 

"Yeah baby?" I ask, stroking her sweat soaked hair.

"I don't feel good" she complains and rests her head on my chest.

"I know baby.. I'm sorry" I whisper and kiss her forehead. It's taking every ounce of self control not to break down and hold her so tightly.

"I'm... I'm gonna be a monster daddy" she cries and grabs onto my hand, holding it tightly in her small one.

"No yer not baby, I won' let tha' happen" I whisper, my throat becoming sore from holding back tears.

"But I'm dying daddy!" She wails.

"Yer sick.. That's all" I try to tell her.

"No I'm not daddy! I'm dying! I'm gonna be dead in a couple hours!" She scream at me.

I hug her tightly. "Shh shh baby .. Yer gonna wake someone up" I hush her and hold her head as tightly as I can without hurting her to my chest. "I love ye' so fucking much Peyton.. Yer my baby girl forever" I whisper into her hair.

"I'm scared daddy"

"I'm right here baby.. Always"

"Daddy?"

"Yeah?" Peyton moves so she's sitting up and looks at me.

"You promise you'll watch the monkeys?" She says seriously.

I chuckle and raise my eyebrows. "What are ye' talkin' bout baby?" I ask confused.

"The monkeys daddy! You promised you'd watch them! You have to watch them or else-" she starts yelling and I grab ahold of her arms and pull her to me. It was then I realized she was hallucinating.

"I will baby.. I promise I'll watch all the monkeys" 

She's going through all this too fast. She only got bit yesterday. Maybe my last moments with her are just flying by.

Peyton starts coughing and blood starts splattering on my chest. I grab my rag and hand it to her, holding it over her mouth to cough into.

"Ow" she cries, tears streaming down her face. I pull her into my chest and cradle her as she coughs up more blood.

"Please make it stop daddy it hurts so bad" she cries. My heart breaks even more. I wanna do something so bad. I feel so useless. So fucking useless and I hate myself for it.

I just hold her tighter and whisper soothing things to her.

"Remember when we rode on unicorns in the sky daddy?" She asks and giggles.

I just go along and nod. "Sure do baby"

"Why you shaking daddy?" She asks and grabs my hands.

"I'm scared" I admit to her and kiss her forehead again.

Peyton coughs more blood up and hands me the rag. "It's full daddy I'm sorry" she apologizes.

I shake my head and hold her hands. "Don' be sorry baby"

I get up and find a bucket for her. "Here" I hand it to her and place her back into my lap again.

"I'm like a Water hose daddy!" She giggles looking at her sweat soaked arms.

I nod and fake laugh. Not able to actually laugh. "Yep baby"

"Tell me a story from when I was a baby daddy" Peyton says and lays back on my chest.

"Ok"

***** FLASH BACK *******

It was 2am in the morning and the baby monitor beside my bed was blaring, Peyton was awake again for the 3rd time tonight. I didn't know a 9 month old could cry so much.

"Daryl!" I hear Merle groan from his room, probably annoyed of being woken again.

"Shut up!" I yell back... I hate being woken up. Yes I love my little girl to death but this child needs to learn to sleep all night long.

I go into her room, her still wailing loudly.

When I walk in she was standing in er crib, holding onto the edge for balance.

I sigh and walk up to her, picking her up in my arms. "What is it now?" I ask in my baby voice.

She almost instantly stops crying and lies her head on my shoulder, only soft whimpers escape her mouth.

I rub her back as she calms down, carrying her around the room, rocking her, singing to her.

She finally falls asleep on me and I gently start to lay her back down in her crib.

As soon as I let her go her eyes jolt open and she screams and starting crying again. "Seriously?" I ask and pick her back up.

She lays her head back on my chest and silences. I sigh and shake my head. "Yer such a daddy's girl aren't ye'?" I ask her softly and rub her back.

"But daddy's tired baby so please go to sleep" I say and try laying her down again.

She again wakes up and screams.

I sigh and squeeze myself into the crib next to her and she crawls on top of me , falling asleep instantly.

I try slipping out from under her but she crawls higher on my chest. I smile but sigh at the same time. I'm really tired and I gotta work tomorrow.

I try again and she screams.

After several more attempts of her crawling all over me I give up and decide to just sleep in her small cramped crib.

Damn did she have me wrapped around her finger. ((( I got this idea from the video I added... Just imagine it as Daryl and omg isn't that one of the cutest thing ever ?! )))