Chapter 25

For the next few days I kept to Herrik's apartment. It was such a dramatic change and difficult to accept at first. I was terribly nervous about how the people of Haeven would react. Herrik was very understanding and did whatever he could to make sure I was comfortable and had everything I needed. During his free time he would patiently teach me to control my new abilities and all the strange sensations that came along with them. We spent almost all our time together the only exceptions being when the council wanted him to settle some concern or other. He would slip out for however long they needed him and I would spend the time practicing and getting used to what I had become.

I had spells of grief and regret for everything we'd lost but Herrik would always find a way to lift me up; usually by saying something like, "We must learn from the past, not live in it. Otherwise we will miss out on all the things that are right here in front of us!" Then he would smile and kiss me and his loving touch would whisk away whatever sorrows were burdening me.

If we happened to be apart during these spells Herrik would leave his mind open to me. It would give me the sense that he was still with me, close by, like a shadow or phantom. I would feel him loving me, encouraging me and bolstering me against all the inevitable sadnesses and endless worries that came along with such a drastic change.

Eventually, Artur, Avery and the others came back. I sensed that they were coming before they actually arrived and when they returned it finally made Haeven feel like my home again. Herrik went to meet them at the elevator and invited them all to his apartment once they each had time to get settled.

Two days later they all came. First Artur, Daemon and Penny arrived. Davit came alone and so did Avery. Not long afterwards Wyatt and Merry showed up. Colin came last and though I thought that he was alone, I discovered that he had someone with him. After they gathered in the living room, Herrik brought me out to meet them all anew. I studied each of them as they sat around the expansive fireplace and talked quietly amongst themselves. It took a moment for anyone to notice me but as soon as they did, whatever they were saying to one another died on their lips.

Ares leapt up and bounded towards me, nearly knocking me over with his exuberance. Collectively they turned toward me and I met their eyes one by one though I spoke to Ares first, "Oh! I never thought I would see you again!" I buried my face in his fur.

"He's one tough cookie!" Colin chuckled. "It took a little," he cleared his throat, "coaxing but he's as good as new, aren't you, buddy?" Ares pulled away and returned to Colin's side.

It grew immensely quiet and for the longest time I stood there smiling, waiting for someone, any one of them to say something. I wanted my friends to throw their arms around me and make me feel less like a stranger than someone they knew and loved.

"My goodness, Emily!" Artur finally exclaimed, his eyes bright and keen. "It's...oh! You look...clearly this is what you were meant to be!" he stood up and came over to me. Artur took my hands and held them wide and studied me from head to toe. "Amazing," he smiled as he leaned in and kissed my cheeks first one then the other.

Tears sprung into my eyes. I was so happy to see him and despite my wishes that Artur would do it first, I threw my arms around him.

"Oh," I realized, "they're...afraid," I thought, "but why?" I couldn't imagine.

"There, there," Artur smiled against my cheek. "It's not that, Emily! No one believed...and...It's just too good to be true that you survived so much!"

I opened my eyes and looked over his shoulder. The others had gotten up and moved closer. They all nodded their assent. Artur stepped aside and one after the other they came and told me with words and thoughts how grateful they were to see me again. Penny and Avery had been a part of my life since the moment I arrived in Haeven and held me the longest. I thought my heart would burst from all the love I felt from them and for them. Herrik watched as the scene unfolded and once the group's initial shock was over, he came up behind me and put his hands on my hips. He kissed my cheek and motioned me to a chair where we could both sit close but comfortably.