Chapter 5

I tried fighting the hold he had on me and running. Avery gave a malicious little chuckle and his grip loosened. I took several stumbling strides which brought me back towards the office and to my utter horror Carah stepped out of the doorway. Once I realized they were barring my escape in either direction, I tried to scream and call for help.

"None of that!" Avery grabbed me from behind and covered my mouth as he shuffled me toward the back door.

It seemed senseless to struggle, so I gave into the inevitable and let them guide me away. The music started back up as Avery ushered me into the alley. I wondered how long it would take Jesse to notice I wasn't there. I knew there wasn't anything he or anyone else could do but I tried to stay hopeful.

"Why didn't I leave as soon as I had the chance? I shouldn't have listened to Jesse and his band as long as I did. I should have been far, far away by now."

Avery glanced at me in the mirror and gave me a look that seemed to challenge the idea. I clenched my teeth and emptied my mind hoping not to give anything else away. Avery seemed surprised, "Interesting," he mumbled as Carah plopped down beside me. He adjusted the mirror and without anything further drove us back to the canyon.

Once we were in the elevator Avery brought us down to my floor. He got off with me but Carah stayed on. I imagined she was heading to Herrik's to report that she and Avery had found me and I was back at my apartment.

After I entered the code and turned the handle Avery reached forward and pushed the door open for me. I had to duck under his arm to get inside. He closed the door behind us, "Kitchen," he nodded and followed me down the hallway. I glanced back once or twice as we walked but then I realized I heard someone speaking. It made me nervous so I strained my ears and listened. It was Herrik and Penny. Their voices rose and fell intermittently but they spoke so low and hushed I didn't catch a word they said.

I stopped, too afraid to walk any further. They were the last two people I wanted to face but Avery nudged me along the hallway and wouldn't let me turn back.

"Please," Penny pleaded, "it won't happen again," were the first words of their conversation I made out.

"I'm sorry," Herrik said as I inched nearer to the kitchen. "There's nothing I can do."

My heart pounded as I watched them sitting across from one another at the island. Herrik seemed oddly calm and unemotional; unwilling to be swayed by whatever Penny said as she stared across the distance between them with her eyes full of tears.

"No...please no," Penny begged. "I can't leave! Not now...not now that Emily is here and after everything that has happened!"

"Oh, God," I thought, "what have I done?!"

"There are rules Penny; it's not my decision to make. "I could have chosen anyone but you offered yourself up. You knew what I expected. By letting her leave you put Emily at a terrible risk. You put us all at a terrible risk. Exposing her might have exposed us all. What if someone recognized her or worse?"

Penny buried her face in her hands, "I know. I wasn't thinking. I...I...she...I needed a distraction. It's been very emotional for me and she's been so...!"

"You have to accept responsibility for this and whatever consequences it brings. The rules are clear and there can be no exceptions." Herrik stood up. "Tomorrow morning," he said conclusively. Penny got up intending to see him out. "Stay. All of you," he met each of our eyes one by one. He looked so disappointed and remorseful, like he felt responsible for what I had done. No matter how determined I was not to regret trying to escape I lowered my eyes and at least for Penny's sake wished I hadn't.