Chapter 12

My outings with Herrik gave me something new to look forward to and the world seemed a much brighter place once I began counting him among my closest of friends. The more time I spent with him the more I realized that he wasn't as imposing and intimidating as I imagined him to be. I stopped avoiding him and whenever we met, we would strike up a conversation. Usually our run-ins took place in the garden as I made my way home from either a lesson with Artur or a workout with Avery. Herrik would fall in with me and while we walked together, we would spend a few minutes catching up. He would tell me about all the little things that had happened and seemed worth sharing and I would do the same.

One evening I was heading home a bit later than usual. I hurried knowing Penny would have dinner ready and waiting by the time I got there. My bag was slung over my shoulder and I kept trying to zip it up as I walked. I wasn't looking where I was going and didn't even notice him as I hurried along the path.

"Emily?"

I whirled around. "Oh, Herrik!" I said surprised and delighted by his sudden appearance. "I walked right by didn't I?"

"Yes, you did!" he came to where I was standing.

"I'm sorry. My zipper got jammed and I was so busy trying to fix it I didn't even see you!" I chuckled. Then I realized that he might have been waiting for me. I glanced over my shoulder towards my apartment. "Is there something you needed to talk to me about?"

I was obviously in a hurry so he shook his head, "No, it can wait," he assured me.

"Are you sure? I was just trying to get home in time for din..." as I spoke I remembered our first night out together. "Why don't you come in and keep us company while we eat?" He looked uncomfortable but enticed by the idea. "I'll make it worth your while," I smiled suggestively. I thought I saw him blush and realized how provocative it sounded. "Oh...I only meant...oh...ugh!"

Herrik laughed, "I know what you meant," he quickly recovered himself and lost his apprehension. "I'd love to join you," he said.

When we got to the door, I let us in and called out to Penny, "Sorry I'm late! We'll be right there."

"We?" she came to the hallway and saw Herrik standing there while I wiggled out of my shoes. "Oh, hello, Herrik," she said her expression full of surprise.

"Maybe I should come back another time," he looked away.

"No!" I tossed a look of helplessness to Penny so she would know to make him feel welcome.

"Yes, I mean, no. Don't go. We would enjoy the company," Penny pleaded.

He took a breath but I started down the hallway before Herrik could say anything else or excuse himself and he reluctantly followed. Penny and I ate most of our meals in the kitchen since it was just the two of us but there was room enough for four at the island. She and Herrik took seats across from one another while I washed up and once I dried off I sat down to the right of Herrik.

Penny seemed hesitant to begin but I had no reservations. It had been a long day and I was very hungry. I took up my fork and knife and started eating while my mind raced for a topic of conversation that would put us all at ease.

"Artur was telling me about this rare flower that only blooms once every seven to ten years." I took a sip of my water.

Penny brightened, knowing exactly which one I referred to. "The corpse flower."

I nodded and took another bite while she explained everything she knew about the strange plant. As she spoke I reached over with the tip of my toe and slipped it under Herrik's pant cuff. I glanced up and smiled while I continued to eat. He looked flustered and it took a moment but he soon realized what I was doing. Herrik kicked his shoes off then eased his sock down so we were touching.