Chapter 3

A moment later Avery returned with Carah in tow.

"Emily has given us one day," Herrik informed them. "Avery, when did Artur say he would be back?"

"He didn't. I can send for him, though; I'm sure he would put his errands aside under the circumstances," Avery cast an odd glance at me.

"Good. Emily," Herrik motioned to me. I hoisted myself from the chaise and came over to where he stood. He laid his hand on my shoulder and looked at me. "Try to get a little sleep," he said, his voice apologetic, "and once I've spoken with Artur, I'll send someone for you." He gave my shoulder a gentle squeeze and said goodnight.

Herrik nodded to Carah and turned away from us. It seemed dismissive and impolite especially since I was already so overwhelmed and confused. I glanced back as we neared the hallway and saw Herrik motion Avery to the chaise. Herrik had his back to me but I could see Avery's face. He looked like he was listening intently to Herrik. Avery nodded once or twice so I guessed that Herrik was giving him instructions.

I tried not to wonder about it as I followed Carah back the way we had come. Once we left Herrik's apartment we wound our way down the hallway past the garden and towards the elevator. This time we went up and after several floors the doors slid back and Carah stepped out. At first it was too dark to see anything but Carah flicked a switch and it bathed our surroundings in light. We were standing in a small receiving area for people getting off the elevator.

"What is this place?" I glanced around.

"We're on one of the apartment levels," Carah said. She moved to the door directly in front of us, "And this," she said as she punched a code into the keypad, "is where you'll be staying tonight."

"An apartment?"

"There were only two choices, this or the dorms. Herrik thought you would be more comfortable here," she said, her voice somewhat agitated as she held the door open for me.

Once we passed through, we walked down a short hallway that led into the kitchen. There were two islands – one obviously there for food preparation and one with stools surrounding it for casual dining. Everything else was standard kitchen fare – a stove, a refrigerator, a sink, and lots of cabinets and what looked to be a pantry.

Beyond the kitchen the apartment split off to the left and right. Carah pointed towards the left, "I doubt you will use any of these but the first room to your right is the dining room. If you go further along, you'll come to the living area." She didn't take me that way but instead led me to the right. "Here is the bathroom," she flipped the light switch and let me look it over, "across there's an office..."

She started walking again and when we got to the end of the hallway, she opened a pair of double doors and ushered me through.

"This is the bedroom."

It spanned the entire length of the apartment. The furnishings were simple and elegant but comfortable looking. There was a small sitting area arranged around a fireplace and a large television built into the wall above the mantle. On the opposite side of that stood a walk-in closet and changing area with a vanity tucked into the corner.

When I looked toward the other end of the room, I sucked in an excited breath. Another long, glass wall covered a portion of it and behind it lay a garden like the one I had seen on the lower level only much, much smaller. It was beautiful and a welcome sight knowing I was still very far below the ground above. The garden gave the impression of looking through a window to the outdoors and made the room and the overall environment seem much more natural.