Chapter 7

Unfortunately, this night wasn't much better than the last. I managed a few fitful bouts of sleep but mostly tossed and turned. I fretted over every little detail of my day. Every face I saw flashed before my eyes, every word I spoke I questioned whether I should have spoken it. The idea that I wasn't using the trick Herrik had taught me to cloak my thoughts terrified me. It seemed like everything was right there on the surface of my mind for anyone to come along and pluck away.

I intermittently slept, panicked and recovered only to repeat the process over and over again. When morning finally came, I accepted the fact that sleep had avoided me yet again and got up.

Rather than waiting for Penny, I dressed and guessing it would be an hour or more before she woke I decided to take a stroll through the garden. I left a note explaining where I was and when I expected to be back. Carah was standing right outside the front door when I stepped out and for a moment I considered turning back. I figured it would only confirm that I had something to hide, though, so I decided I'd better not change my plans.

I made an extra effort to keep my thoughts hidden and smiling cheerfully offered her a gracious good morning then got on my way. It was so beautiful in the garden first thing in the morning. The birds flitted here and there, the grass was dappled with dew, and little tendrils of fog drifted across the pond. It surprised me when I found myself there and I realized I must have somehow remembered the way. As I gazed across it I noticed a door on the far side and wondered where it would lead to.

I decided to find out.

Carah followed me; trailing several yards behind but when we were near enough for her to realize where I was heading she called out for me to stop.

"I doubt Herrik would enjoy a visit from you right now."

"Oh, is that whose door it is?"

"There are only two apartments in the garden; yours and his."

I didn't know that.

"There's no keypad?"

Carah guffawed, "Herrik doesn't need one."

I frowned wondering what she meant by the statement. She was impossible to read. Other than angry I could never tell what she was thinking. It didn't really matter, I would never willingly visit Herrik, anyway. The idea of facing him horrified me. I was sure he would sense it even if no one else seemed to; somehow he would know that I more or less confessed his cover-up to Carah.

We turned and walked away but I glanced back when we were on the opposite side of the pond again. I'm not sure what possessed me to stand there staring at his door. I wanted to wait for him, though. For some reason I expected him and sure enough a moment later the door opened. Artur came first then Herrik directly behind him. They smiled and laughed at something only the two of them could know.

Seeing them in such good moods made me smile, too. Artur noticed me standing there watching and I fearfully dropped my gaze. I wanted to hurry away but Artur called to Carah and asked if we would join them for a minute.

"Penny's waiting for me," I urged Carah to decline.

"Nonsense," she saw how nervous I was and looked as if she would enjoy forcing me to face them.

She spun me around and marched me back the way we had come. Herrik said good morning to each of us and Artur did the same. "Will you come in or would you rather walk?"

Carah looked at me for an answer.

"Oh, walk I guess."

Herrik held his arm out to show that I should lead the way. I took us once more towards the opposite side of the pond. Artur matched his pace to mine and Herrik fell in with Carah.