Chapter 11

The strangeness of living in the compound began to fade and a sense of normalcy crept into my life. Penny and I grew closer and as we did, my homesickness slowly abated. I stopped dreading the time I spent studying with Artur or sparring with Avery or whoever was on-hand if Herrik needed him for something. Between my daily routines and helping Penny with some of the domestic responsibilities around the apartment most of my days ended up being quite full.

There were occasions, though, I had a few too many hours to myself. During those lulls I would find myself thinking and wondering about life and what was going on in the world beyond the compound. I would miss my family and my friends and long for a chance to see them again or to at least know that they were well. Sometimes the melancholy would settle in and stick with me for several days and it would distract me from all the other things I should have been doing.

One morning I was particularly down while Artur and I tried going over some French pronunciations. He did his best to get me to focus but it was of very little use. Every time he asked me a question I took longer and longer to answer. It turned into a frustrating lesson for both of us. When he realized that he was on the verge of losing his temper Artur said that we should change gears. He suggested I go to the gym so Avery could work the cobwebs out of my head.

I sighed and agreed and after I gathered my books and papers Artur walked me to the front door and said goodbye. As soon as I stepped outside, I realized that Avery wasn't there. I waited several minutes expecting him to return but he never did. I let myself back in to tell Artur that Avery wasn't around and I wasn't sure what I should do.

"Hmm," he said, "he must be tied up somewhere. I'll walk you to the gym and have Carah meet us there."

"Ugh, Carah," I said it to myself but that didn't keep Artur from seeing my sentiments so clearly written on my face.

He looked at me curiously, "What was that?" he asked.

"Hmm? Oh, nothing," I smiled.

"Right," Artur raised his brows, "Well, you'd better hurry, Carah's waiting for us."

"Already?" I moaned.

"That's where she was when I asked if she wouldn't mind working with you."

"Do you think Herrik will be there?"

Artur stole a glance at me, "Now why would you ask that?"

"I don't know...I thought...well, I saw them together once and I guess..."

Artur laughed out loud but didn't answer.

"What?" I asked.

"Nothing," Artur laid his hand on my shoulder as we walked. "Herrik is not there and he and Carah are not...together; not that it's my place to tell you but I don't want any rumors or misconceptions getting around."

"I wouldn't have told anyone, anyway. I don't li..." I bit my tongue.

Artur stopped short, "That is an opinion you'd best keep to yourself."

"I'm sorry," I looked away abashed.

"Don't be," Artur sighed, "but do try to remember who you are and where you are. It's safer to keep those views well-guarded." I looked up my eyes full of worry. "Oh," he smiled weakly, "I didn't mean to frighten you. You know Herrik would never let anything happen to you. You are one among many though; different and more easily misunderstood. You have nothing to worry about but that is no reason for you to be careless and indifferent towards the feelings of others."