Chapter 10

I thought Herrik planned to bring Artur to the kitchen with him after he answered the door. He said he would meet me there in a minute but it seemed to be taking much longer than that. I wondered what was keeping them while sat on one of the stools and ate the makeshift lunch I put together. About halfway through my meal I noticed their voices coming from the living room.

I hadn't seen anyone other than Herrik for however long I had been staying in his apartment and I decided it would be nice to say hello to Artur. I pushed my plate back and slipped down from the stool. Their voices grew louder as I got closer and they sounded quite agitated and angry with one another.

It upset me that they were fighting and I wasn't sure how to interrupt them so I stood in the hallway watching until Artur realized I was there. His hands fell to his sides and he lost the angry expression he wore.

"Emily," his voice sounded full of surprise, "Herrik told me you were resting."

Herrik looked almost as surprised as Artur when he noticed me.

I pointed down the hallway, "No, I was having a bite to eat..."

"How are you feeling? You look..." Artur turned his gaze towards Herrik and his voice took an accusatory tone, "remarkably well," he turned back towards me.

Herrik's eyes seemed to plead with me not to venture any more information than I had to, "I'm...better," I said hopeful it would satisfy them both.

"Hmm," Artur mumbled, "that's good...I'm glad you are up and around. I'll be sure to tell Penny. She's worried about you and hopes you'll be able to go home soon."

"Soon," Herrik assured him.

For a long moment none of us said anything. It was very uncomfortable; we all had a lot on our minds but very little to say. I decided it would be best for me to leave so they could finish their conversation and hopefully resolve whatever differences they were having.

"I guess I'll get back to my lunch. It was good to see you," I ventured to Artur and pivoted anxious to make my escape.

Halfway down the hallway I heard their conversation resume. I was curious why Herrik seemed so reluctant to let Artur see and speak with me. So I stopped and listened hoping to discover the reason. As I strained my ears I heard much more than I wanted.

"Good Lord, Herrik! What have you done?" Artur exclaimed.

"I had no other choice," Herrik said defensively.

"There is always another choice! First Penny and now this! Are you deliberately trying to undo all that we have done?"

"It wasn't much. Just enough to..."

"Just enough! And how did you determine this just enough? Hmm? What were you thinking, Herrik? Don't you...don't you realize how dangerous it is for you to..." Artur paused unable or unwilling to finish the thought. "How many have you pledged? Dozens? More? Do you realize how much it's changed you; how powerful you've become? Just enough! A drop from you is too much never mind just enough! Did you ever stop to consider what it might do to her?"

"There was no other way," Herrik insisted.

"Damn it! Why did you keep her so long? Why didn't you send her home?!"

"I promised I would help her. You don't understand what Daemon's blood was doing to her. Emily needed me! I couldn't let her leave without at least trying..."

"Couldn't let her leave! Letting her die would have been a better outcome than what you might have done to her!"

I gasped and covered my mouth hoping neither had heard me. I tried to run away but before I got more than a step or two Herrik seized my hand. When he touched me it all came back and I sobbed at the sudden awareness.