Chapter 20

Hardly three minutes later, Evan called back to tell me he was waiting for me in the lobby.

"You'd better come up, I still need a few more minutes!" I grumbled.

"Are you sure? I have someone with me."

"Yes, it's fine...I'm decent," I giggled.

We hung up and I went to the door then used the bar on the security lock to brace it open so Evan could let himself in. Afterwards I headed back to the bathroom to finish my hair and make-up. When I heard him come in I called out to let him know that I was just finishing up and would be right there.

While I fastened my earrings, I walked into the room and saw him and...

"Oh!" I said in surprise. I had expected to see him with one of his college buddies but there was a young woman sitting beside him on the edge of the bed instead.

"Hey, Em," Evan hopped up and the girl slowly moved to join him. She stood at his side and wrapped his fingers in hers. "Sarah, this is my sister Emily. Emily this is my girlfriend, Sarah," he motioned to each of us while he made the introduction.

"Sarah...Sarah..." I said to myself and my mind seemed to shudder when he told me her name. "It's nice to meet you, Sarah," I held my hand out.

She shifted her purse to her opposite shoulder and took the tips of my fingers in hers, "It's nice to meet you," she smiled.

There was something odd about the way she said it, like she wasn't being sincere or she was disappointed or felt sullied by my touch. I bit my tongue and turned to Evan, "Well, I guess we can go. Let me grab my purse," I pointed.

Evan's eyes followed my gesture and he noticed my charm sitting on the nightstand. "I see you found your necklace," he smiled.

"Yeah," I picked it up and ran my fingers over it. "I thought about wearing it but I wasn't sure if it would look good with what I've got on."

"Actually," Sarah seemed awed as she gazed at the necklace from where she stood, "it's very...interesting. Where did you get it?" she took a step towards me hoping to get a better look.

I shook my head and shrugged, "I'm not sure."

She tentatively reached out as she eyed the ornament. Though I hadn't planned on wearing it, I hastily looped it over my head and tucked it beneath my blouse before she had a chance to inspect it. The thought of letting her touch it was unbearable.

She frowned at me and I was sure there was some understanding lurking in her eyes, "Ah, yes! Your memory...Evan told me you had a bit of a gap there," she said.

"Gap," I clenched my jaw and cocked my head at Evan angry that he took the liberty of confiding something so private. Evan had never mentioned having a girlfriend and in my mind that meant that their relationship was somewhat new. I couldn't believe he told her something so delicate and personal. I would have been reluctant to share it with anyone outside my family. His willingness to share it with Sarah was a little unnerving. I wondered what else he might have disclosed. I tossed a look Evan's way but there didn't seem to be any comprehension or guilt in his expression.

At that moment I decided that I didn't and probably would never like Sarah. I didn't bother to elaborate or try to explain my memory loss. Instead I said, "Well, it's more complicated than a gap but unfortunately I can't tell you much more than that." I hoped it was enough to make her realize that it wasn't anything I cared to talk about.

My response thoroughly took Sarah aback. "Well, I'm sorry to have brought it up. It seems like a very sore subject for you. Are you ready?" she tucked her hand in Evan's elbow and gazed lovingly up at him.