Chapter 15

Herrik immediately stood up and came to me, "Good. You're here!" he took my hands and kissed my cheeks.

I didn't expect him to be affectionate in front of everyone, especially Carah. It must have been terribly distasteful for her to see me with Herrik. I tried not to look so flustered and confused as I smiled at each one of them while he led me to the chaise. He sat down beside me and gave me a warm, encouraging grin. Artur and Avery seemed indifferent to the attention Herrik paid me and acted as though nothing out of the ordinary had taken place.

But Carah...I couldn't put a finger on it. She looked, "Smug?" I asked myself. She seemed quite pleased with the fact that Herrik wanted everyone to understand exactly where I stood in his eyes.

"Well, you're all aware why you're here so I won't go over it again. What we need to do now is try to find out who and why. Emily, you and Avery were the only ones who might have seen anything other than myself. If you're both willing, I would like to share your perspectives with you."

"Of course," Avery nodded. He stood up and took Herrik's hand.

Carah and Artur stood up as well. Artur clasped Avery's hand on one side and Carah's on the other while Herrik grasped mine. Carah stood to my right and stretched her fingers towards me to complete the circle. I tried to hide my revolt as I cautiously took her hand in mine. It was dizzying and chaotic with so many images happening all at once. A small part of me instinctively resisted sharing my thoughts with the others. Once I recognized Herrik's reassuring presence he helped me relax enough to open up my mind to him and the rest of the group.

He avoided all the personal sentiments that were at the forefront of my mind and obscured my most recent and prominent memories. After those were hidden he searched for the moment when we were leaving the theater. As we made our way to the car, walking and talking, the scene changed slightly to a new and odd perspective, a rooftop perhaps. It must have been Avery's view. He was too far away to see anything in any great detail. A moment later I saw myself turn and hurry down the sidewalk. I decided that was Herrik's perspective. When he forced me to face him it switched again and I realized that it was my eyes everyone was seeing through.

"Huh!" I sucked in my breath, "How did I not notice that?" Herrik was holding me, trying to convince me it was time for me to go back to my family. I wasn't thinking clearly and then he fell and I...I...saw him running away. Not the gunman, I didn't recognize him and he was dead anyway – Avery had made sure of that.

"Jesse," Herrik whispered and slowly withdrew from all of our thoughts.

"Well, that explains a lot," Carah grumbled.

"And leaves a lot of unanswered questions," Artur added.

"But it's a good starting point," Herrik affirmed.

"I...I..." I wanted to say something but wasn't sure what. Something still seemed to be missing, and not quite right about what we all saw.

Herrik looked at me full of concern, "What's wrong? Does it hurt? It can be painful sometimes, especially if you resist."

I shook my head trying to clear it, "No. I'm fine," I laid my hand on his thigh and gave him a reassuring squeeze.

My mind wouldn't let it go though, that sense of wrongness with what we had all seen. Herrik and the others were talking about discrete ways to interrogate the residents of the upper levels without raising any suspicions. They wondered if any of Jesse's old friends still lived there in the compound and if something happened that had somehow restored his memories. Perhaps he came across one of his old band mates and convinced them to help him get his revenge.