Chapter 16

When we finished tidying up the kitchen, we found ourselves at a loss for what to do. Neither one of us wanted to leave the apartment and risk having our time together interrupted by anyone we might meet. So we ruled out the garden and common rooms. About the only thing we agreed on was that we wanted to be close. After a few minutes of indecision we ended up making our way to Herrik's living room and stretched out on the sofa together.

We spent most of the evening talking and asking questions about each other; the books we liked, music and so forth. Herrik seemed eager to learn everything he could. I offered more than once to let him see for himself but he insisted on asking his questions and hearing my answers out loud.

It didn't take long to realize that we didn't know as much as we thought about one another. The time went fast and while the night progressed the questions came slower and slower and the answers less surprising. At one point I found myself wondering about Daemon again.

"Is he your only family? I remember you telling me you had a brother. Did he ever marry and have children? Have you ever met any of them?"

"I'm aware of them and a handful of details, but mostly no. I've kept my distance. It's safer for all of us, them and me, if I stay detached. It's hard but I know they are there and that they are well and I've learned to content myself with that."

"Hmm," I stroked his arm, "I think I understand. Sometimes I wonder about my family."

"Do you? I don't have many details but...well here." Herrik edged closer and took my hands.

"Oh! Is that Evan? He's so tall and...and handsome!" I exclaimed. Then Herrik shared a second image with me of my mother and father. They seemed well-dressed and they were both smiling. They looked like they were ready to go out on a date.

"Birthday party, actually," Herrik released my hands. "That was about a year or so ago. I'm sorry I don't have specifics. Aside from someone catching a glimpse of them here or there, there's not much I can tell you. I've always tried to respect their privacy."

"It's OK. I'm just happy...they looked so happy," I wiped a tear or two from the corner of my eye. Thank you for letting me see," I kissed his cheek.

Herrik smiled, "You've never celebrated a birthday here have you?"

"No," I laughed. "I'm not even sure what day it is or what month or year. No one keeps track."

"I'll keep track and the next time your birthday comes around we'll all help you celebrate."

It seemed like a very exciting prospect. I couldn't remember the last time I celebrated anything – Christmas or New Year's or Easter or the Fourth of July.

"You've missed out on quite a bit haven't you?"

"Yes. Well, no. Not really. I mean I've been busy and too..."

"Isolated."

"Focused," I corrected. "There's been so little time to think about it. And besides somehow you've always managed to surprise me whenever I felt like I needed more than what the compound has to offer. Every night I've spent with you has more than made up for what I've missed."

"I'm not so sure about that," then Herrik went into a long list of the things he thought life in the compound had deprived me of. "Oh, and dancing!" he added with a great deal of emphasis.

"Dancing?" I giggled.

Herrik's expression brightened, "Ah, dancing!" He sprung from the couch and disappeared. A moment later he returned to the sensuous voice of a beautiful tenor.