Chapter 24

It seemed like hundreds of voices cried out to me at all once before fading into nothingness. Afterwards the only thing I heard was the sound of the wind rushing past my ears as I fell faster and faster. I wasn't afraid as I plummeted towards the ravine at the bottom of the canyon. It relieved me. I knew that it would all be over soon and I would never have to feel anything again.

I closed my eyes when I could finally make out the ground. It appeared to loom up beneath me and a moment later I felt the crushing impact of my body hitting the earth. Surprisingly, the pain didn't go away, at least not the emotional pain. I couldn't feel anything, there was nothing, no sensation anywhere in my body other than the heartbreak that had brought me to where lay.

A moment after the impact I heard a loud thump and the sound of the rough foliage being crushed underfoot. I couldn't believe I heard it; that I was actually still alive. It seemed impossible.

"Herrik?" I tried calling his name but the only sound that came out was an indistinguishable gurgling.

He peered into my eyes, shocked into understanding by my desperation. A second thud shuddered the ground right behind him while he was kneeling down beside me. Someone grabbed Herrik's shoulder and yanked him away.

Seconds later others came, I heard them falling and landing one after another. They stood protectively all around me. I had no idea who was who, though. It was too dark to see and my vision seemed to come and go in blurry pulses.

"Take her! Keep her alive! Don't...don't do anything more!" Herrik's voice insisted but it sounded so unsure.

I tried to raise my arm to beckon someone, anyone to come and help me but I couldn't move and despite Herrik's command nobody dared to touch me. It was unexpected but I suddenly realized that I didn't want to die even though I had so obviously ensured that I would.

"No," Artur pushed through the small circle. "You won't die, dear Emily. Not today."

He brushed the hair from my face and rolled his sleeve.

"This ends now!" Herrik's voice boomed across the ravine and as he said it Daemon and Avery appeared at his side.

Artur glanced their way then turned back and whispered, "Enough." He pulled his arm away, "Penny," he called out, "you lead. Merry follow us!"

All of a sudden it was excruciating! Artur urged me to sitting and despite what he had given me there was no life in my body or limbs, only pain.

"Ssh," Artur soothed. "I know it hurts, Emily but you must hold on. Hold on for Herrik!" He laid his fingertips on my temple and the world vanished.

We stopped more than once and each time Artur gently roused me, he urged me to take several more drops. Nothing seemed to change for me though. My aches would dwindle but only for a moment then return with a vengeance. If I tried to move my arms or my legs or open my lips to speak it sent a stabbing jolt of agony rippling through every fiber of my body. Either Artur was being too cautious and not giving me enough or my life was too far gone.

Eventually we reached the gates that led to the garage. There weren't any guards but Artur sent Merry and Penny ahead to make sure that the way was clear. Artur knelt down in the shadows and stroked my cheek until my eyes fluttered open.

"Try again," he coaxed me.

During the brief release it brought me I begged him to tell me if what I feared was true.

"Am I going to die?"

I saw his eyes glistening in the dark, "Don't give up," he kissed my forehead.