Chapter 21

I was glad Ares was so persistent and that he had come with me. Despite all my worry, I was exhausted and the monotony of the drive almost put me to sleep more than once. If I started looking a little too lax Ares would either give a little yip or paw my arm reminding me to stay alert. By the time we drove into the parking lot at the hotel I had a nice welt on my forearm from every time Ares made a swipe at me.

As we drove I wondered what I should do once we got there. I considered going into the lobby and asking the night-person if anyone had found something in one of the rooms. That didn't seem like it would produce any results, though. I didn't remember which room I stayed in and I didn't have any idea what I had forgotten.

I turned the engine off and sat in the driver's seat and tried to come up with a plan. Ares had been still for too long, though, and obviously wanted to get out. In my haste to get to the hotel I hadn't bothered to bring his leash. It was late and there didn't seem to be anyone in the immediate vicinity. I let him out to stretch and take care of his needs.

Much to my dismay he shot from the car as soon as I opened the door and ran towards the back of the building. I chased after him and as I rounded the corner I thought I heard somebody cooing to him near the rear entrance to the hotel.

"Whoa there, big fella! You got me," the voice sounded full of humor.

I looked toward the doorway and was astonished to see Ares there standing on his hind legs with his paws on a strange man's shoulders.

"Ah, so it is true and the culprit does always return to the scene of the crime!" the man called to me.

"Excuse me?"

He tugged Ares from his shoulders and together they walked over to where I stood in the dim light of a street lamp. For a fleeting moment I thought I recognized him and forgot that I should be afraid.

"Do I know you?" I looked from the man to Ares and back again and wondered if he was a friend of Evan's.

"Not intimately but I would be happy to change that if you like," he smiled suggestively.

"That's quite alright!" I retorted. "Ares, come!" I pointed at my heel and pivoted away.

"Wait!" his voice was apologetic. When I glanced back the stranger reached into his pocket and fished something out. He raised it up so it would catch the light. "Look familiar?"

It only took an instant to realize it was the object I had so urgently come back to find. An image flashed in my mind of the man and a nightclub and a conversation we seemed to have had there.

"That's right," he nodded. "You do remember...something, anyway. I'm Colin, a friend of Daemon's and I'm here to take you to him."

"Daemon! How do I know that name?" I wondered as I stared at the necklace. "Where did you get that?" I demanded.

"Hmm," the man studied me. "It's late and the sun will be up soon. I think you had better come with me. It will be much easier for Daemon to tell you than for me."

I shook my head, "No. Stay where you are! Ares, come!" I called again but he wouldn't budge.

"I guess the easy way isn't going to work is it? Fair enough," Colin took a step towards me but Ares suddenly came to life and his friendly demeanor fell to the wayside. "OK, OK!" Colin threw his hands up. "Just tell her to come with me, would you?" the stranger said to Ares.

Ares walked around behind me and nudged me towards the man. I stumbled a step or two towards him.

"What are you doing?" I looked back at Ares. "How did you get him to do that?" I turned back to the man.