He taught me how to ride my bike.

"I'm so scared, Dad." I whimpered as the seats climbed higher and higher until we could see the whole fairground. "We're really high up... what if we fall?"

Dad chuckled and reached for my hand; squeezing tightly. "Don't worry, you won't fall. I'm right here beside you... holding your hand." Then at the last moment, the seats stopped as we looked out at the grounds. Everything was lit up, booths were opened, games were being played and rides were being ridden.

Then it dropped.

He had gone with me on my first roller coaster.

"Whoa there, kiddo. Try putting the car into neutral first, then do it again." Dad chuckled as I tried to maneuver the car correctly.

He had taught me how to drive.

Dad held me in his arms as I cried buckets of tears. The Eulogist was speaking, people were not. Relatives had come from everywhere to join Dad and me on this horrible day.

When they lowered the casket into the ground, I walked forward and knelt beside the 6 foot hole.

"I'll see you again, Mom."

Then I tossed the dirt in.

He comforted me at Mom's funeral when I knew that he needed comforting, too.

Now sitting in the waiting room, curled up in a ball on the chair with red puffy eyes, I wondered if the next funeral I would be going to would be my father's. Mom's funeral played on repeat in my head and I couldn't help but think that I would have no family. No love. Nothing.

I watched as receptionists answered ringing telephones and nurses wheeled out patients. I heard sick babies wailing and parents asking if they're kid was okay. I smelt pungent odors and illness everywhere. I tasted my salt stained lips from crying. I felt the cold, stale air in the hospital as I waited, waited, and waited.

"Here you go," I looked up at Jax as he set a cup of hot tea beside me. He took the chair next to mine and sat silently with me. Waiting.

"Thank you." It was barely a whisper, but he nodded; looking at me with tender eyes.

I soon went back to my thought before a nurse in blue scrubs emerged from the doors and asked for June Proctor.

I stood abruptly and strode to the woman. "I'm June."

The nurse smiled. Jeanine, her name tag read. "I'm glad you're here, June. Would you like to see your father?"

I nodded fiercely, needing to see him. "How is he?"

She grinned. "He's doing very well. The doctor will tell you more."

Looking back at Jax, he waved to me and I smiled. "I'll be right back," I mouthed.

I followed Nurse Jeanine to the room where they were keeping my father. The hallways were nearly empty except for the occasional patient walking down the halls.

"Here you go, Doctor Stride will be in with you in a moment." Then she opened the door to let me in and shut it softly.

Dad lay asleep on the hospital bed in a white gown. Tubes ran from his arms and nose up to more medical equipment.

Tears started to form in the corners of my eyes again.

"Oh, Dad..." I whispered, sitting in the chair next to his bed. Picking up his hand, I was shocked at the coldness of it and his pale skin. But I gripped firmly.

Cuts, bruises, and scrapes marked his face and limbs. Not an inch of skin wasn't damaged from the wreck.

I shook my head softly, sniffing profusely. Then the door opened quietly and a man walked in.

"Hello, June. I'm Doctor Stride, it's nice to meet you." He held out his hand and I shook it.

"Hi."

The doctor checked the medical equipment and IV bag before smiling softly at me. "Your father's in good condition, believe it or not. He was very lucky to survive."

"What happened?" I asked.

"He was driving down the highway when his cars' front tire slipped on a patch of ice. The car spun uncontrollably and flipped a few times before finally coming to a stop at the end of the road. 911 was called by witnesses, and he was brought here."

I looked down at my Dad with his pale skin and cuts. "When will he wake?"

"He's still on some medication that will make him drowsy at times, but I say that he should be awake by around noon tomorrow."

I nodded. "Am I allowed to stay here?"

Doctor Stride smiled sadly at me. "You can, but I think it would be best for you to go home and get some rest. Nurses will be pouring in and out of here for the next several hours. But you can definitely come back tomorrow."

"Okay," I whispered, taking one last look at Dad and kissing his forehead.

"Thank you, Doctor. Please call me if anything happens." I said, shaking his hand once again.

"I surely will. Have a good night, Miss Proctor."

When I was back outside in the waiting room, Jax stood and walked over to me. "Hey, how is he?"

I stuffed my hands into my pockets. "Doc says he's good. I'll get to see him tomorrow."

Jax nodded before pulling me into a tight embrace. This, I thought. This is what I needed.

"Do you want to stay at my place tonight?" he asked into my hair.

I nodded softly, hugging him tighter. "Thank you."

When we got to Jax's house, he explained everything to his mom while I went up to his room and collapsed on his bed.

All the events from today ran through my head one by one. The phone call, the drive to the hospital, the wait, and the results. I was just glad that my dad was okay and alive.

"Hey," Jax whispered, and I opened my eyes. "Do you need anything?"

I shook my head, patting the side of the bed next to me.

Jax climbed onto the covers, lying on his side like me; us both facing each other. A lone tear escaped from my eye but he gently wiped it off and held my face.

He kept stroking my cheek lightly with his thumb, and soon enough, my eyes closed and I let a deep sleep overtake me.