Chapter 2

Chapter 2

    "Jax, you remember June, right?" my mom spoke to me.

    I nodded slowly. There she was in full form, no longer in her overalls two sizes too big and pig tails tied with pink ribbons. June had gotten a small diamond nose stud, I noticed, and her face had delicate but sharp and intimidating features to them. She was, dare I say it, sexy.

    And if it weren't for her same pitch black hair and piercing green eyes, I wouldn't have known who the hell she was.

    She seemed as stunned as I was. Her mouth was open slightly, and she had been frozen in place for the last few seconds. Finally, her dad's voice broke my thoughts.

    "You two used to be great friends, remember?" he said, looking happy and oblivious to the fact that I had locked lips with his daughter. But it had barely even qualified as a kiss, I guess. Dry, lips closed, eyes wide open, and too quick.

    "Yeah, I remember." June said, still looking at me. Her voice was a little huskier now with a smooth tone to the edges.

    "You two should catch up! Delilah and I will be in the kitchen if you need us." Joshua said, and with that, they left.

    The awkward silence couldn't be any more noticeable. This tension between us, the 'haven't seen each other in years and don't know what to say' type of tension... it was unbearable.

    "Long time no see." I said, sticking my hands in my pockets.

    A corner of her mouth turned upwards. "You can say that again."

    "Back in Brooklyn, huh? You gonna stay this time?"

    She nodded, swaying slightly on her feet. "I think so. Texas just didn't have that lively vibe, you know?"

    I shook my head. "Nope, I don't. Never been to Texas."

    She chuckled softly but mysteriously. "Well, you'd have to go sometime. It's quite different from here."

    I nodded. "Maybe I will."

    She nodded back. "Maybe you will."

    So we just stood there, staring at each other. I couldn't force myself to look away from her entrancing green eyes. It was like they were luring me to her.

    "Outgrew the overalls, I see?"

    June looked down at herself and shrugged. "Needed a change. Pigtails and ribbons weren't really my thing."

    I smiled. "You look good."

    June smiled back. "So do you, Jax. So tell me," she sat down on the tiny layout of blankets they had on her floor, "how's Brooklyn been the last nine years?"

    I joined her on the blankets. "Pretty much the same. Some of the friends we had from elementary are still here. Joanne died last year from cancer, though..." I trailed off.

    June's eyes clouded over and her face fell. "Oh." She whispered. What could she say? Joanne was her closest friend in fifth grade. It would've been even harder if she was here the whole time.

    "But other than that, same old same old. Mrs. Crabtree is still the cranky old bitch she always has been." June laughed.

    "Remember when we would throw paper airplanes around the class and once it hit her in the head?" she said with a grin.

    I nodded. "Yeah! And she made us clean all the hallways with mops for a week. That was pure torture."

    We started to laugh at the memory. Suddenly, all these funny memories from elementary school popped into my head. And they all included June.

    "Thinking of all the fun times we had?" she said, breaking my thoughts.

    I nodded, looking at her. "Yeah, we had some pretty memorable moments."

    I could tell that she was thinking the same thing as I was. The damned kiss. Why was it so lingering? So important now? It was unimportant until now...

    I couldn't help but wonder what her lips would taste like today...

    Suddenly, laughter was heard from the kitchen hallways that was adjoining the living room. Both our parents walked out and looked down at us.

    June and I stood up and smiled. "Hey, mom."

    My mom grinned. "Hey sweetie. Ready to go?"

    I nodded. "Sure." Waving goodbye to Joshua, and then to June with a slight nod, we headed home.

    When we got inside and I turned on the T.V., my mom popped in a movie and sat with me on the couch.

    "So, did you guys talk?"

    I nodded.

    "And...?"

    I shrugged. "That's it. We talked."

    I heard her chuckle but ignored it. "She's gotten really beautiful, hasn't she?"

    I hated that my mom asked me that. "Sure."

    "Oh, come on! Don't be such a wuss about it! You saw it!"

    Again, I shrugged carelessly. "I guess."

    My mom sighed, shaking her head at me. Reaching over to her, I hugged her tight and shook her with a chuckle. "Don't worry mom."

    And with that, we watched the rest of the movie in silence. But no matter what, I kept imagining June in her tight little tank top and shorts that made her sun kissed legs look longer than ever.

    Yeah, I thought. Some pretty memorable moments.

●●●

    Aloha!

    If you're reading this, remember that you're super radical.

    Totally tubular bro!

    So sorry for the weird remarks I'm going CRAZY!!! :)

    Remember to VOTE, COMMENT, and SHARE!!! I especially love comments because they're just fun to read.

    Also, check out my two other books:

-    Fight for Her

-    See Kate Score

    ( Both completed, by the way. Whoo! )

    As always, have a fantastic day, much love,

    -Anne :)