Chapter 4

Chapter 4

We spent the next hour just saying phrases to each other back and forth in Brooklyn accents. The sun was starting to get lower so I decided to head on out to the Italian restaurant down the street.

Since Jax was already with me, I invited him.

"So," I said, biting into a piece of lasagna. We were sitting in one of the booths in Piazza's Italian Deli. Jax and I had ordered my favorite; spinach and cheese lasagna. "What's Brooklyn Academy like?"

Jax thought while he chewed. "Eh, it's pretty much like any other high school. Crazy and very dramatic."

I nodded. Waving the fork in small circles while I talked, I asked, "So who should I look out for?"

He chuckled. "Well, I would say Julian Cerder. Remember him from third grade?"

I nodded.

"Well. He's turned into quite the dumbass. Always ruining people's houses at parties, crashing cars into pools, etc."

I gawked. "He crashed a car in a pool?"

Jax nodded, taking another bite. "Another one's Kipper Trist. Sounds like a nice dude, but he's not. Always knocking up some poor girl."

I suddenly hated this Kipper dude. How dare he?

Then Jax continued with a grimace. "And then there's Kylie Louis. Slutty, bitchy, and the assumed Queen Bee."

I frowned. "Assumed?"

Jax shrugged. "No girl likes her, but she's intimidating to them, you know? Being the daughter of a rich daddy can get you a lot of things to ruin other peoples' lives."

"Hmm. Sounds like a total complete bust."

He nodded. "She is. Kylie's also very seductive when it comes to men. Sleeps with a new guy every week...not that I have a place to say anything, but..."

I chuckled. "Why? You the school playah?"

He nodded, amused at my wording. "You could say that. I'm not the greatest role model in Brooklyn."

As I watched Jax, it suddenly hit me. He really was a badass. Not just the attitude, but the look, too. Sexy, mysterious, a little bit dark. It was actually really intriguing.

Jax looked at me and gestured to his nose. "When'd you get that?"

I touched the small stud. "Freshman year, I think. My Dad wasn't too excited about it, but my mom thought it was cute."

I felt myself sag a little with the mentioning of my mom. Jax noticed it, too.

"How is your mom, by the way?" he asked.

I gave a sad smile. "She passed away two years ago."

Jax's face fell. "I'm sorry to hear that."

I nodded softly. "Don't apologize. I guess it was just her time." Lie. It wasn't her time. She didn't deserve to die, nobody did that young.

Sitting up straighter, I wiped my hands on a napkin. "Ready to go?"

Jax nodded and we got up to leave.

On the walk home, he thankfully didn't press on further about Mom. Conversation was light and minimal, with a few laughs here and there.

"I guess I'll see you Monday, then." I said, stopping at the stairs leading up to my Brownstone home.

He tucked his hands into his pockets and smiled. "See ya Monday, sweet cheeks."

Laughing, I climbed the stairs and walked in. When I got to the second floor, I checked in on Dad who was sleeping soundly.

I made it into my bed smiling. All the while thinking about how nice a day it's been.

●●●

Another boring chapter, I know. Super sorry. But I will double update! So you're welcome ya filthy animals.

Have a fantastic day, don't get hit by a bus, much love,

-Anne :)