Chapter 24: Off to East Kerilia

Start from the beginning

It just didn't seem like the right time.

"Want to, uh... Stop by Fisherman's?" he asked instead. "Harold receives an order of sticky buns from West Kerilia at the beginning of every other week. They're really good."

"I have to assume as much, since they're from West Kerilia." Anthony nodded. "I can buy."

"Oh, naturally." Lucius put on an impish smile. "They're pretty expensive."

Anthony sighed in resignation but nodded.

"As expected of West Kerilia."

"Leeches as they may be it's not like we have a lot of agriculture options, and they know it."

"Honestly they're all leeches."

Lucius cocked an eyebrow.

"Are we leeches?"

Anthony hesitated before holding up a hand to signal 'a little bit', and Lucius snorted.

They sat down on a bench by the water after buying the buns, and Lucius wrung his hands to keep them warm. They were almost completely alone at that part of the harbor due to the weather. The water had finally frozen, and it was impossible not to get the chills from the merciless gusts of wind.

Anthony seemed fine though, and Lucius had to stare at his thin coat again. What was it made of? Or was he just not a cold person?

It was a nice feeling though, sitting by the harbor and enjoying something sweet. Only thing missing was the soothing sounds of water splashing that the winter just wouldn't allow. The ice wasn't thick and perhaps it'd been different near the ships but as it were Lucius would just have to do without the sounds.

Another movement in the corner of his eye caught his attention and he glared in the direction. Nothing. He was pretty sure it was something small, so he had to assume it was one of the scourge's little blights like that cat it'd sent those years ago. What did it want this time?

"I'm glad you're feeling better," Anthony suddenly said and Lucius blinked, snapping out of his thoughts. "Or, I guess I'm just assuming. But at least you're outside and, you know... Smiling."

"Oh, uh..." Lucius looked down at his bun, stopping to consider it. He wouldn't lie and say he was over the recent events involving the Reapers and Adrian but he supposed he'd started to move on over the past weeks. "It's... Fading, at least."

Anthony nodded while chewing.

"Ah, right," he then said, perking up where he sat and reached into his pocket. "I was going to give you this."

He then held out a golden ring at Lucius, who stared at it in shock as his cheeks reddened.

"... Lord Hargreaves—"

"Oh! Oh, no. No, it's not that." Anthony's smile was apologetic and he reached out further, prompting Lucius to take it.

"Would've been a very awkward time." Lucius uttered a nervous laugh as he received the ring to look closer.

"In your defense I'm great at awkward timings. Besides, who needs rings when we have matching knives, right?"

Lucius chuckled, still flustered but turned his attention to the ring's motif. A fang split in half. The symbol of Anthony's organization.

"Yeah, I don't think this would've been a proper ring for it anyway," he said with an arched eyebrow. "But... Why are you giving it to me?"

"Not so much giving but rather letting you borrow it." Anthony looked awful proud of himself. "There's a more... Casual meeting later tonight. More like a party. And I figured maybe you could go instead of me."