Chapter 19: That's funny

Start from the beginning

"Telmo..."

"Learn from his mistakes. Don't give them a reason to think you don't care about them."

Lucius hesitated. Despite her reluctance to listen to his threats Lucius found comfort in Telmo and her ability of usually being right and she probably had good intentions with giving him advice, but he wouldn't give her the pleasure of thinking she had the upper hand of their argument.

"So who's gonna train a dog to kill me?" He smiled, and Telmo smiled back, if a little reluctantly. Of all people Lucius was certain she'd figured it out. "Ravi had too many weaknesses, and he didn't care for any of us. Don't think I haven't learned anything from that."

Telmo chewed on her lip as if in thought.

"Better be more careful about your relationship with Gashcrow then."

Lucius stared, and Telmo stared back. He opened his mouth to object, but once again she was right. Adrian was a weakness. How had she found out though? He'd been so careful.

"I personally don't think anyone shouldn't get to..." Telmo's nose wrinkled. "... Be with someone they like... But it will far from do you any favors in your position."

"You know what?" Lucius had had enough. He'd only take so much criticism. "I'm too tired for this. So I'm gonna get some sleep, and I'll... I'll think of a way to make it up to you all some other day."

It was Telmo's turn to look tired.

"... Some other day?"

"Yeah, we still have our work at the harbor. And then I have to make some preparations for this evening."

"What for? What kind of preparations?"

"Honestly?" Lucius asked as he began turning around, not sure if Telmo would take a joke in that situation but he'd give it a try. "Shopping."

Telmo's lip curled and Lucius awaited the scolding, but then she sighed in resignation.

"Don't expect me to come to your aid when the others lay into you about you ditching us."

Lucius glanced back at her a last time.

"Seems fair."

Then he headed off to his room for some well needed rest.

***

Light burst through the gloomy dark of night as the kitchen girl opened the door for Lucius the following evening. He grinned at her before stepping inside. It'd just been too easy. One would've thought the high and mighty smuggling organization would check their kitchen staff more carefully, but simple bribing let Lucius in without a question? He was almost disappointed.

"Think a lot of 'em are about to gather around this one guy," the kitchen girl said, voice monotonous and with a sloppy gesture towards the door. "You should be able to walk out there without much trouble."

Lucius nodded, still set on being cautious. He'd already paid the girl so why couldn't she rat him out? And what about the rest of the staff?

"I promise I'm not here to harm anyone," he assured her. "I just want to look around."

"Pfft," she said, tossing hair over her shoulder. "You could kill them all if you'd like. Why should I care?"

"You concern me a lot." Lucius smiled. "But I think I like you."

"Whatever." The girl shrugged. "Good luck out there I suppose, ma'am."

"Cheers to you," Lucius replied as he adjusted his wig and straightened his dress. He'd spent a lot of time on his disguise, making sure no one would recognize him but still look as pretty as before, so it had better work. Just to be sure stopped in the narrow corridor between the kitchen and the ballroom and looked into a mirror. The powder still managed to cover up his moles quite nicely despite him having worn it for a while, and he was pretty sure he'd stuffed the turquoise dress properly so it wouldn't suddenly give him away by moving around.