And from between Maxwell's legs he saw something that made him cringe!

Evelyn was slowly backing away from Maxwell. With Maxwell's attention completely on Alex she was trying to escape.

Bad Idea babe!

And as she slowly tried to inch away...from corner of his eye, Maxwell saw a movement.

His mate was inching towards the door. Running away from him!

His mate! How could she even think?

His control snapped and his wolf was now firmly back in the driver seat.

He turned around in lightning speed, his eyes pitch black facing her.

Evelyn gasped looking at his eyes and backed up fast and her back hit the door. The very door that was going to be her freedom a few minutes ago. One of her hands tried to find the knob in panic, her last desperate attempt to freedom. She wasn't thinking rationally.

A werewolf like Evelyn who had not yet turned, she was for all practical purposes human. She would not be able to tell if someone was her mate or not, yes she would be attracted to him but would not feel the mate bond. That would only happen when she got her wolf.

So, usually in cases like this there were strict protocols to be followed that the wolf councils set up. Any wolf who found his mate but she had not yet turned, would date her, like a normal human spend time with her and get to know her until her wolf emerged. Typically it would take a few weeks to few months for the female's wolf to emerge and there was no hard and fast rule.

But once her wolf emerged she would identify her mate and then it was up to the mates how they wanted to take their relationship forward.

If she had her wolf it would have guided her, her reaction would have been different, she would have known the blunder of running from one's mate. But with her wolf absent her human nature was guiding her that would lead to disastrous consequences.

Maxwell looked at her wandering hand, narrowed his eyes.

She stilled. The message was pretty clear.

In two strides he was in her face. She was staring at his chest, him towering over her. He held her shoulder in a death grip with both his hands.

He slowly bent down and pressed his nose into her neck and took a deep breath taking in her scent while she was even afraid to take a breath. She was absolutely terrified.

"Mate!" he whispered in satisfaction from the crook of her neck. A satisfaction only a werewolf could express when he first finds his mate.

"Game over. Mate" he whispered into her ear "You run, no more" he declared and added "Mine"

The finality of that one word shook her to her very core.

He pulled back looked into her eyes and smiled as his canines extended.

Her eyes widened. She knew what he was about to do.

No!

She exploded in violence. Her hands trying to scratch him everywhere she made contact, his arms, neck and face. Her legs trying to kick him. Anything to get away from him.

"No. No. Please Don't. No" She pleaded. Struggling against him. She was no competition to a full grown male wolf. He barely felt her scratches on him.

He was far too gone. His mate running from him, hiding her scent from him, trying to free herself. Hugging Alex! That was the last straw! The very nature of the beast took over, he had to mark his territory in the most primitive way.

Better let the world know who she belonged to. Better let HER know who she belonged to.

"Maxwell, No! Don't be an Idiot!" He faintly heard Alex shouting behind him.

Maxwell growled at him but didn't turn his attention from his mate.

That Bastard! His mate almost escaped because of him! His scent was still on her and he had been hugging her! He would deal with him later but first...

His one hand forced her head up, exposing her neck while she struggled against him in futility and in one quick flash sank his canines into her exposed neck.

Kick starting the irreversible mate bond.

Her scream echoed in the hallway just as Adrian appeared and took in the situation.

Alex was on the ground with disbelief all over his face. Staring at the end of the hallway.

Where a guard was cowering.

And Maxwell...

Fuck!

The girl was bleeding from her neck, her face clearly in shock as Maxwell was forcing the mate bond onto an unwilling mate.

The situation, had just officially graduated to FUBAR.

***
Note: for those of you who are not sure what FUBAR means ( Fucked Up Beyond All Repair)