Chapter 5

A month had passed since Emily joined our school. During that period she had almost the whole school wrapped around her little finger. Everyone saw her as a sweet and pretty girl with a kind heart. Noone except me seemed to notice the evil glint and contempt visible in her eyes.

I, on the other hand, had lost almost all my friends because of my "I don't care" attitude. Almost because Jared and Paula still sat beside me in all our classes and during lunch. Paula continued with her usual chatter even though I rarely responded. Jared tried to take every chance he got to talk to me but I ignored his attempts and refused to listen to him.

I had also been keeping a close watch on Emily in school but in vain. There was nothing I learnt about her that I didn't already know. She was an 18 year old who had moved to our town Ashford from Queensland. Her parents were divorced and she had her own place here which was coincidentally not far from my house. She lived alone and she did not have any siblings. That was all I knew.

I had also fainted two more times when I looked into her eyes. This further proved my theory that she was responsible for my fainting spells. And she kept giving me these knowing smirks and contemptible looks when she thought I wasn't looking. Like she knew a secret I didn't know. Which made me wonder if she really knew something.

One evening I was walking near my house when I heard strange noises coming from Emily's house. I walked closer and closer to realize it was Emily's voice but she seemed to be chanting. "Weird" I thought and was about to walk away when I heard her say my name. A feeling of deja vú crossed my mind and like a bolt of lightning I was suddenly struck with memories of that fateful night when I lost my soul. I finally realized where I had seen Emily before. She was the bitch who stole my feelings.

"Oh Emily Parker! You're so dead girl" I thought as I made my way over to her house. I reached the gate and pushed against it.

Smack!

I found myself lying on the ground all of a sudden. I tried the gate again only to be thrown back a second time. She must have put up a magical barrier of some sort. There was nothing I could do against that. I turned around and walked back to my house. Pulling out my cellphone I dialled a number which I hadn't dialled in a month. He answered at the first ring.
"Kelly! Is that you?" he asked in a shocked tone.
"Hello Jared. I need your help. There is something about me you should know. I have been turned into a -"
"Soulless. I know." Jared replied in a quiet voice.