17: Pink Lemonade

*A/N: This is Pink Lemonade because in some parts it made my face scrunch up like 'damn'- I think you guys will like this chapter! So let me know what you think, what you favourite part of this story is so far and maybe some advice or questions you want to give me or the characters (I'll do my best but I've never done this before) Enjoy the chapter peeps!

17: Pink Lemonade

It's like that one word creates a hurricane, the way it crashes and spirals something deep inside of me, soothing destructive and out of control. It's not just some crazy female emotion, it's jealously, it's heart ache and passion all ravel into one.

"With her?" I move from his lap, I can't look at him, I can't feel him touch me right now because I know I will cave in. But I feel cold and empty away from him, I don't feel safe or warm, I just felt exposed as I cross my arms over my chest.

"Not just her. Her father too. It's nothing but business, baby." He is behind me now, his hands hovering over me, I can feel him, and I feel my chest pound with my heartbeat as his hands move down to my sides just over my hands. It's as if I'm made of glass.

"He has a few investments in some companies out there that needed help. He wanted my opinion. If I get the deal for Fortress then I could be promoted." His words sound honest, even and smooth, and as I turn to look up in his eyes I see the small flicker of excitement he gets when he talks about his work.

But it doesn't stop the looming fear that strikes deep within me that shadows us like a raincloud. "Why was she in your office? Why is she suddenly so interested in work when before she was fine with her daddy paying her cheques? Is that why she seems to be at your beck and call like a little puppy dog biting at you ankles?" Okay, so I was over reacting, I was overthinking everything. But if she wanted to play rough, coming in here like she owned the place, ordering him around like he was her personal slave- then that was not okay with me.

"Partly." He cringes, his hand moving up to scratch his neck awkwardly with a huff of breath. "They won't give me the deal." He looks defeated and torn, his body hunches like a man with the weight on an elephant on his back, and a part of me feels the pain with him.

"Why? What's happened?" this time it's me to step forward, my hands on his upper arms, my thumbs rub a soothing pattern over his skin.

There's an emptiness in his eyes, blankness as they search mine, he looks so lost. There's an internal battle behind the metallic blue, like a puddle with oil inside with the swirls and clashes of colour around the pupil.

"They won't give me the deal because... because you're here."

My blood pounds in my ears. Me. Because of me. That bitch! "They can't do that!" I fume, my hands in fists as I begin to pace the kitchen floor, my thumb nail half chewed off in my mouth.

"Don't overthink this Scarlet. I don't need this deal. I don't need anything as long as I have you, it's just Riley playing mind games." He explains and tries to calm me but I shake my head furiously at him.

"No it's not, she is practically threatening your job, I can't let you do that. We have to do something." I mutter and continue my frantic pacing, no wonder Gray had been so tense when he got home, and he was carrying this around the whole time knowing that as long I was here he was being held back. I never wanted to be a burden.

"It doesn't matter, Cherry, you mean more to me than a stupid deal." He says as I begin to make my way to his bedroom, I had an idea- I had a plan.

"I'll move out." I result. The plan had originally been to find a place as soon as possible but every site I looked at Gray shot down; bad neighbourhood, too expensive, no air con, it looked too tacky or it looked too small. I would simply dedicate my day to finding somewhere to move into- I would sleep in the bakery if I had to.

"No, don't, please." Gray stops me with a hand to my shoulder, another coming up to my face to pull away the half chewed thumb from my mouth and brush his fingers against my cheek. "You promised me you'd never leave." He rasps, as if he is trying to hold back the glistening tears, whilst mine run down my cheek freely.

"When?" I sniffle, his touch warms my skin, sends tingles to my fingertips and firing deep in my core.

"In your dream. When you had a nightmare, you promised you'd never leave." He whimpers as I look down at his flexed arm.

The phoenix dances on the skin, it's eyes hard and powerful as if it's ready to burn bright and free, whilst the dragon fights it, living in the flames and smoke- the calm and tranquillity of the koi fish on his arm gives the piece depth. His tattoos were his history, were his story, and I felt energised knowing he allowed me in to see this part of him. To see his heart.

I manage to end my tears as I peer back up following the columns of his throat up to his jaw which he clenches and unclenches, his lips are slightly open and his pink tongue teases out to moisten them. I feel grounded then with the weight of his stare and the warmth I feel inside- it doesn't prepare me for his next words.

"I love you, Cherry." The words fill the room, they brush and float over my skin sending chills to my spine. They flutter in my chest, taking my breath away and deep in my heart I feel the relief of the words. I had never heard them before, so raw and pure, so certain and true. I had never felt those words either.

So with a passionate kiss to his lips I let him in, I open my heart, I feel my pulse thrum and my breath rattle in time with his, like DNA we coil and bond to form one.

Till my hand is placed over his heart, my lips kiss along his jaw and play with his earlobe as I whisper. "Make me yours."