10: Blueberry Blast

*A/N: Don't forget to vote, comment and share- enjoy the chapter!

10: Blueberry Blast

Have you ever been in one of those sleeps where you were simmering on the edge? Where you feel like you are lost, sinking down into the mattress but never know when it's going to catch you? You feel the movement, you hear the sound trying to get in to reach you, and you are that deep in sleep you don't move. Not even to turn or move from the way you fell asleep, you don't know what time it is, you have no dream but when you open your eyes it's like you never slept at all. You just float in unconsciousness until... SNAP... you jolt awake.

It was like someone clipping their fingers, snapping me out of a hypnosis, making my eyes fly open. My body started to rise to sit up but two firm hands pushed my chest down till I saw a middle aged woman with warm green eyes and deep brown curly hair pinned back into a pony tail.

"Honey lay back, I know you're scared but you're safe now." She tells me softly pressing a button above my bed. But it's not my bed, I'm not at home, I did not know this woman- the wires hooked to my chest, the pinch on my finger and the lines my eyes follow to various machines prove to me that I was in hospital. What happened?

I open my mouth to form the words but they start to come out as a hoarse noise in my throat, I try to cough to clear it but when I take a breath in a fire burns and stabs in my side making my breath wheeze in my chest.

"Sweetie, you just need to lay still, and try not to talk as you have something blocking your throat. I've called for the doctor and he can explain everything to you. I'll get you some water but it's best you stay still; you've broken a handful of ribs." The nurse is speaking to me, I think she's a nurse, I don't know as my eyes keep blurring but I manage to focus enough to see her nametag that reads 'Nurse Skye' which is a pretty name, an odd name but still pretty it reminded me of blue, the type of blue that only came with the sky.

She keeps talking to me and I feel my heartrate slow, my ears are ringing and my head is throbbing with hooded eyes. "There are people waiting for you, all excited for you to wake up, but you won't get to see them until after the doctor. It's a shame to see a beautiful girl like you in here, it's always the young ones, but now's the time to look to the future right?" she smiles, kindly, warm and welcoming as an almost maternal figure. The thought makes me cringe. But her words are comforting. How did I get here?

As I blink sound of metal fill my head, the image of road and trees, the sound of someone calling for help and light fluttering over my eyes before I open them. The car, and accident? Was it me? Was anyone else hurt- are they okay? Panic flutters in my chest and not being able to talk makes it worse, I can't communicate, I can't even move my hand up to wipe away the tears that fall from my eyes.

Nurse Skye had been hovering around my bed, but now she was at the door letting a man with a white coat over his scrubs, a small frown on his face and a v between his thick eyebrows that were speckled with grey like his salt and pepper hair. The door behind him let in some light, showed staff in scrubs rushing back and forth like fish in a current, the sound of a phone ringing and a distant overhead call reminds me of the life outside the walls I was confined in as I wonder who is out there.

"Scarlet." His voice snaps me out of my daze, my eyes moving from the door to the older man with warm brown eyes. "I'm Doctor Lowe, it's a pleasure to see you with your eyes open." His smile is warm, but serious as he looks down at me for a moment before pulling up a seat.

"You were in a car accident whilst going to work, another driver had a stroke which caused him to lose control and collided with your vehicle, you were brought here and we managed to patch you up."