Nightmares

I wake up in the middle of the night in a cold sweat panting. I had that horrid nightmare that I haven't had since I came to town.

I get out of my bed and leave quietly. Every time I had this nightmare I always walked around. I really did think that these nightmares were over.

I walk into the town forest with no destination in mind.

Got a secret
Can you keep it?
Swear this one you'll save.
Better lock it in your pocket.
Taking this one to the grave.

The birds sing their song in their high pitched voice that could give you nightmares by it self. They always sing this when I have this nightmare.

If I show you
Then I know you
Won't tell what I said
Cause two can keep a secret if one of them is dead.

It's like the creatures know about me. About my nightmares. About who I am.

I walk until I find myself at the lake. My near death experience comes to mind. But right now that was a walk in the field compare to how I feel right now.

Got a secret
Can you keep it?
Swear this one you'll save.
Better lock it in your pocket.
Taking this one to the grave.

"Shut up you stupid birds." I say.

If I show you
Then I know you
Won't tell what I said
Cause two can keep a secret if one of them is dead.

The birds sing even louder. Why are they doing this?

Got a secret
Can you keep it?
Swear this one you'll save.
Better lock it in your pocket.
Taking this one to the grave.

If I show you
Then I know you
Won't tell what I said
Cause two can keep a secret if one of them is dead.

I cover my ears as the birds sing even louder. Loud noises irritates my ears. And their song is really starting to get annoying.

"Shut up!" I say louder.

Got a secret
Can you keep it?
Swear this one you'll save.
Better lock it in your pocket.
Taking this one to the grave.

If I show you
Then I know you
Won't tell what I said
Cause two can keep a secret if one of them is dead.

They never sung this loud. Why now? My nightmare flashes through my mind. I crouch down pressing my ears to block the song.

"Stop it! Stop it! Stop it!" I scream.

Got a secret
Can you keep it?
Swear this one you'll save.
Better lock it in your pocket.
Taking this one to the grave.

If I show you
Then I know you
Won't tell what I said
Cause two can keep a secret if one of them is dead.

Their song echos through my ears. I feel hot tears stream down my face as my nightmare becomes more vivid.

Suddenly the birds stop singing. But my horror continues.

I keep holding my ears but then I feel someone shake me. I look up and I see Alric holding my shoulders while everyone is behind him.

I scramble away from him quickly.

"Animila what's wrong?" Aqua asks.

I hug my knees while the tears continue down my face. They are not here. This is just part of my nightmare. They are not real.

"Animila?" Blaze asks.

"You're not real. Stay away. You are just in my head." I say.

"We are real." The twins say.

"No you're not. You are just part of my nightmare." I say shaking.

"No we're not. We are real." Alric says.

"Prove it." I respond.

"We met by trying to rob you. You almost died at this lake. You and I went to town. You stopped me from doing something horrible." Alric says.

My nightmares never know that much.

I get up and run and hug Alric while shaking. He pats my hair to calm me down.

"It's ok we're here for you." He says softly.

I finally calm down and I let go of him.

"How did you guys know I left and where I was?" I ask.

"I woke up to singing. I saw you weren't there so I woke up everyone. We followed the singing as it got louder. Also the closer we got the more fear I felt. Than we saw you with birds flying over your head." Alric says.

"Yeah but you had claws, tail, and cat ears." Flora says.

"Those birds are illusion birds. They create illusions for their victim and others by their singing. They took my nightmare and created an illusion for it." I say.

I'm not lying. My glamour didn't slip the birds did create an illusion.

"What was your nightmare?" Aqua asks.

I shudder a little. But they do deserve to know.

"I was different than everyone. I stood out. But I didn't mind. That is until my parents died because of it. I saw their death again. But this time it was more gruesome. I ran away and ran in to you guys. But you all hated me and tried to kill me. I woke up as I was about to be killed." I say.

A moment of silence passes.

"We would never hate you. Nor would we try to kill you." Blaze says. Everyone nods.

"I know but that's the first time that part happened. Usually I just see my parents die. Each time it was worse and worse." I say.

"You had this dream before?" Alric asks.

"Yeah. Every night when I lived in the forest." I say looking down.

Then everyone comes and hugs me.

"Don't worry we won't ever let you suffer that horrible dream again." Fauna says.

"Thanks guys." I say.

They pull away and give me a reassuring smile.

"I do have a question. Why were those illusion birds here?" Blaze asks.

"I don't know. They always appeared when I had nightmares. They sing the same song and follow me. But they always leave once I tell them too. This time they just stayed and sung louder." I say.

"What was the song?" Flora asks.

I can't tell them because then they'll ask why that song. They will be suspicious about it.

"You didn't hear the words?" I ask.

"No not clearly. We heard the melody." Aqua says.

"Oh." I say. I look at my feet.

"You don't want to tell us do you? You are afraid of what may happen if you sing it or say it." Alric says.

I nod. He's half right. That is one reason why.

"How do you know?" I mumble.

"I feel your fear." Alric says.

That must be a useful power. I need to learn how to control my fear. I never know who else may have that power.

"Let's go guys." Aqua says.

I grab Blaze's arm and grip on to it. I don't know what's in the forest that followed the birds.

Something plagues my mind though.

Why was tonight different? What changed? This is very nerve wrecking. I don't like this feeling.

By the way the song quoted here is secret by The pierces.