Chapter 24(With Time People Heal)

FIVE YEARS LATER
__________________________________

I was now twenty years old and I was living with Elena my real mom. My fake mom Karen was at a psychiatric home in New York. Every now and then I would travel to New York to visit her and of course not alone. Lindsey would accompany me to see her. I was now going to a law school. I wanted to be a family lawyer.

Today I planned to visit Karen in New York so I called Lindsey. The phone rang and she answered, "Hey girl!"

"Gosh Lindsey! Do you have to be so loud every single time I call you? "

" Sorry, but I'm just naturally perky. "

" Anyways just pack your bags we're going to New York to see Karen. "

" Oh cool, I'm gonna do that right now. "

" Yea flight leaves at four so let's hurry it's 1:50 pm now. Adios amiga. "

She made kissy noises and the phone line clicked dead.

I stood in front of the mirror looking at myself. A half smile crept on to my face when I saw my now short hair . I remembered Brett. I had cut my hair because it symbolises the love I lost. A tear trickled down the left side of my face,but I was still smiling.

"I'm sorry too."

Startled I turned to see Elena looking at me smiling.
"For what,"I asked almost like a whisper.

"I know you miss him and you think about him every single day for the past five years."

"Yea well he's just memory now ."

"Don't be so sure you might see him one day and you both reunite."

"I'm sorry I can't have this talk right now,"I replied feeling uncomfortable,"I have to pack."

"Okay ,"she said turning to exit the room then halfway between the door she paused,"just so you know I can sense these things." With that said she left completely.

I let out a hard sigh .
I then packed and got ready to leave .

-------------------------------------------

It was 7:00 pm sharp when Lindsey and I landed in New York.

"Crisp city air!" Lindsey shouted when we exited the airport.

"My eardrums!" I shouted .
We looked at each other and laughed.

Making our way down the town to check in a hotel, BANG! I crashed into someone . "Jesus!"I yelped falling on my butt to the ground.

"F*@k! Lady look the hell where your going !" The stranger said.

His voice I'm sure I had heard before and then our eyes made contact. Only one person I knew with hazel eyes like those and it was Brett Hart. Could it possibly be? Do my eyes deceive me because it's night ? I watch the young man while he took up his briefcase. I was smiling widely at him.

"What are you looking at hmmm?" The man asked sassy.

I shook my head and got up. I cleared my throat, "Obviously not you !"

He sighed , "Women."
With that he left in a hurry.

"How rude? He didn't even help you up ," Lindsey said.

I stood staring as the man walked away. Blood left my body. I knew it had to be Brett . I just knew it! If it's him , how can he not remember me ? My heart died a little more at the thought.

"Hello? ! Calling earth ?!"Lindsey said snapping.

"Oh sorry , I just had a moment ."

"Seems more like a year ," she mumbled.

"I heard that !" I said grabbing my bags from her.

"Shsst why so harsh ?"

We resumed walking until we reached our hotel and checked in .I sat on the bed thinking about the encounter.

"What's bothering you?" Lindsey asked .

"Nothing at all."

"Lie! I'm your best friend so I know something is bothering you girl."

"I think I saw Brett ," I stated bluntly.

"What ?! Pffftt ! Yea right."

"I'm being serious."

"Don't make me laugh."

"The guy I bumped into earlier tonight ."

"What makes you think it's him?"

"His eyes, only the Brett Hart I know have that shade of hazel eyes. Only he can put back the lights in my eyes and restart my dead heart."

"That's nice tomorrow we can look for him,"she yawned ,"I'm tired now."

-------------------------------------------

In the morning I woke feeling fatigue probably because I couldn't sleep due to the fact that I kept thinking about the guy I bumped into.
I got out of bed and walked wearily to the bathroom. I looked in the mirror and smiled at seeing my short hair."I'm crazy , don't you think so too Linds?"

"Believe me I do !" I heard her yell in her bed from under the cover."

"I smile every morning I see my short hair . I need help,"I said aloud.

"You need a man and sex !"

I gasped at her comment and I hear her chuckle."I do too have a man!"

"Yea and he left five years ago!"

"Well at least I can keep a decent guy."

"It's not my fault they can't afford my lifestyle."

"Linds you're pathetic."

"I know."

I took a shower and got dressed in a white spaghetti strap dress just above my knees, gold sandals and gold accessories.
After ten more minutes Linds and I were out the hotel door.

We arrived at the psychiatric home and asked to see Karen Williams.
" I'm sorry she's not in today," the lady at the counter said.

"What do you mean by she's not in today?"I asked puzzled.

"She's in the hospital, she suffered a heart attack."

"What? Where ?! Which hospital?!"
Lindsey looked at me with wide eyes.

"I cannot disclose, I'm sorry ."

"Thank you ,"I said walking away pale.

I stood outside hugging myself because I felt chilly at the moment.
"I'm sorry sweetie ," Lindsey said .

I looked at her ," I just need to be alone ."

"Okay , see you at the hotel then," she said as she left.

After standing like a complete retard I went to sit in a local diner. I ordered coffee and pumpkin cream pie. I sat stirring my coffee and looking all forlorn.

"I believe you dropped this Serena Williams," a manly familiar voice said.

Startled I looked up to see the guy I bumped into last night holding my purse. Still in shock I couldn't even blink. I could swore my mouth was in a O shape .

He gave his signature smirk at me just like old times.

"Brett ?! It is you !"
I leaped to hug him and we both fell to the floor laughing.

We got up smiling at each other .