9- Out Of Sight, Out Of Mind

Chapter Nine- Out Of Sight, Out Of Mind

... I began running harder and faster than I ever thought to be humanly possible....

It was raining harder now, and I was getting soaked. The ground was becoming wet and slippery where there WAS dirt.

Sooner than later, I heard thunder and saw lightning... The ground was completely saturated with rain, and I was getting exhausted. I was nearing the woods, but I knew if I went in there, there would be consequences.
Consequences such as: I could get lost. I could meet up with the men, seeing as how I didn't know where the hell they were. If it continued to rain, I wouldn't be able to see very far. I also didn't know how big the woods would be.

I slowed to a jog, and motivated myself by thinking of home, and how I would be there very soon.

As I was walking into the woods, I heard gunshots. It sounded like a huge gun, too... I started to run, but only in short bursts lasting about 2 minutes. Then I heard the gunshots coming closer. I scanned the woods around me for a tall tree that I could climb into and be hidden. By the time that I found the tree I could climb up, I had to hurry.
I was climbing the tree and was about halfway up, when I looked down to see five men looking around. "Fuck! I didn't think about covering my tracks!!!! I really hope the rain washed them away..."
I looked up to see where I could step, but instead I saw something move about 6 branches above me. "What is that.... What do we have here in Iowa that climbs trees other than.... Shit.. Cougars....."
I would have to take my chances.... Either the cougar... Or the men... Each equally as dangerous.... Or a miracle would happen, and the cougar would jump out of the tree and chase the men around.... I decided this was a FANTASTIC time to pray.... Again. This is a record for me, praying twice in one day. I asked God for another miracle... But if he couldn't do that, that was okay because one was more than most people get. I said amen and waited almost 30 minutes before I thought the men were gone.. Then I had to deal with the whole cougar thing.... I was carefully and quietly climbing down, when I heard one of the men say "I think I heard something, guys... Come here." I quickly scrambled up the tree being careful not to make too much noise..

But I accidentally woke up the cougar.....